Candy R.
Candy R., Veterinary Technician
Experience:  Practicing Veterinary Technician for 26 years.Former Veterinary Practice Owner, Technician Trainer

Hi, my cat was at the vet all day today to determine the cause

Hi, my cat was at the vet all day today to determine the cause of frequent vomiting (~1X/day for the last week and a half). The vet did an endoscopy and found a hard hairball that he believes may be the cause. He also did a biopsy. My cat has been home for a few hours and will only eat baby food (treat). He stands in front of his kibble dish and in front of the water he usually drinks and just stares at it. It's like he wants to eat but can't for some reason. He does eat baby food (a lot of it) -- but not his regular food. I'd think he'd be starving after not eating all day. Could this be a stress reaction and/or a reaction to the anesthesia? I have to leave early tomorrow morning for a vacation but wil have a cat sitter coming to watch over him carefully. i'm worried about him and would just like to know if this could be a normal reaction to stress or anesthesia. Thanks! Kristen

Hello, My name is XXXXX XXXXX I have been a veterinary nurse for 26 years.Thank you for allowing me to assist you today.

I am sorry to hear that Finnegan is having some trouble. I just have a few questions so I can better assist you.

Did your vet remove the hair ball or does he think it will pass?

Did he come home on any medications?

Does he normally eat wet or dry food?

How much baby food has he eaten?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

He had a hard bit of hair that the vet thinks may have been the cause (25% chance). He's eaten probably a jar of baby food at this point over the last few hours. He normally gets both wet food and kibble (I tried him on both). He still looks pretty stressed -- pupils a bit dilated.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Sorry, I didn't answer all your questions. He removed the hairball. Finnegan is on a little bit of prednisone as well.

Thank you for the additional information.

I suspect this is a combination of things.
1. I suspect they may have given him some for of pain medication before the endoscope and biopsy and this can take time to wear off
2. The endoscope can make the throat sore making it painful to eat
3. After effects of the anesthesia

It is not uncommon for them not to have much of an appetite after anesthesia and it can make them a bit nauseous. The fact that he is eating even the baby food is good as cats who are very ill or in sever pain will not normally eat.

As long as he is eating something I would not be to concerned and I suspect he will be more himself in the morning. The baby food contains a large percentage of water so this can also make them drink less.

I would have plenty of canned food and some baby food available for the pet sitter to give him, if his throat is sore it could take a day or two for him to eat his dry food again.
I would also leave your vets contact info just in case but I suspect this is just a bit of stress and after effects of everything that was done today.

I hope this helps and he feels better soon. Please reply back if you have additional questions or concerns and I will be happy to continue.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you! I'm less worried now. i'll keep in close contact with the cat sitter. My vet is closed for the long weekend so I appreciate your answer.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Last thing: are the dilated pupils normal?

You are very welcome. I would really try not to worry to much as long as he is getting some type of food in him. Some cats will also not pass stool for 24-48 hours after anesthesia as well so do not panic in that area either.
The dilated pupils are one reason I suspect they gave some form of pain medication. If this lasts longer then 24 hours then I would worry.
I hope you have a safe trip and they are able to figure out why the vomiting was happening.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

OK, thanks!

You are welcome. Please give him a good head scratch from me