Cher
Cher, Feline Specialist
Experience:  Feline Healthcare & Behavior Specialist 40+ years Experience

I have recently taken in a stray cat. She was declawed and

I have recently taken in a stray cat. She was declawed and fixed prior to me getting her, so I'm assuming that at one point she was an indoor housecat before someone dumped her, and I took her in. She is very skinny, but has gray flecks of fur in her black coat, and her whiskers are very long. I would say she's probably an older cat because of the gray fur and long whiskers, but because she's so skinny and little it's hard to tell. I haven't taken her into a vet yet because of the lack of funds right now. I've been feeding her wet and dry food, and she's slowly gaining some weight back. Her temperament is extremely sweet and loving, although she will only stay in our basement, never upstairs with us. We have a dog as well, and they get along great. The last couple days, I've noticed her right nostril is constantly running with a thick, yellow snot. When she eats, you can tell it's hard for her to breathe because of the stuffy nose. She has no other symptoms, though. Is there anything over the counter that I could give her? Or any natural treatments that I could try until I can get her into the vet?
Category: Cat
Expert:  Cher replied 10 months ago.

Hello, Kortney and welcome!

My name is XXXXX XXXXX it will be my pleasure to assist you and Dixie today.

Bless you for taking her in! You saved a feline life! : )

From your description, it sounds like Dixie has, or is beginning, an upper respiratory infection. Although this condition is viral (like the human cold), there can be bacterial elements and the vet may prescribe an antibiotic to prevent bacterial infections if they are not already present. The yellow color of the mucus may indicate bacterial infection.

For the moment, you can use a humidifier in any rooms she spends time in and also, try some plain infant saline nose drops to help clear her nose. One drop in each nostril once a day, until you can have her evaluated by a vet, would be good. If she fights you on this, don't continue.

Since you just took her in, it would be best to have her seen by the vet in person, as soon as you can, to make sure she's healthy in all respects (of course, except for the runny nose right now) and she might be due for vaccinations. The vet will also be able to tell you her approximate age.

I hope all will be well with Dixie!

If you need any additional information or clarification, simply 'Reply' back before rating and I will be happy to help with any follow up questions.

If my answer has been helpful, a Positive Rating and Positive feedback on the survey would be greatly appreciated. Thanks! Laughing

If you would like to request me to answer any new, future questions, please begin your post with "For Cher Only" and I will respond as soon as possible.

Thank you for entrusting your important question about your kitty to Just Answer!

Warmest regards,
Cher
Cher, Feline Specialist
Experience: Feline Healthcare & Behavior Specialist 40+ years Experience