Dr. Louis Gotthelf
Dr. Louis Gotthelf, Veterinarian
Experience:  35 years owning a dog and cat veterinary practice. President of an animal emergency clinic
1348006

My cat has had diorrhea for 4 months. She has had 3 weeks of

Customer Question

My cat has had diorrhea for 4 months. She has had 3 weeks of metrodyzenol, 3 days of worming, 5 days of probiotics. She has been tested for parasites and TF which were all negative. She has been on a raw food only diet which does firm her up and she is on Happy Cat digestive for sensitive stomachs. No mucuus no blood. But still has diorrhea. Any advice welcome. I have 6 other cats so restricting dry food is difficult
Category: Cat
Expert:  replied 1 year ago.

Dr. Louis Gotthelf :

Hi. I'm Dr. Gotthelf. I have been a vet for 35 years and I would like to use my experience to help you with your pet's medical problem.

Dr. Louis Gotthelf :

Many cats with chronic diarrhea actually have something called inflammatory bowel disease. This is usually treated with high levels of an anti-inflammatory drug called prednisolone. Some of these younger cats with chronic diarrheas actually have intestinal lymphosarcoma. Has your cat been tested for Feline Leukemia Virus? Sometimes the only way to know the exact cause of the chronic diarrhea (especially if the other cats do not have it) is to do an intestinal biopsy.

Customer: All of my cats are snap tested every year for felv /fiv and are negative. She didn't have a problem until I changed the dry food. But have gone back to the original food and no change.
Dr. Louis Gotthelf :

OK, good that the cats are tested. Intestinal lymphoma would still be on my list of possibilities. Ask your vet for a course of oral prednisolone to see if it makes any difference. A very digestible home made food may also be beneficial, especially if this is due to a food allergy causing the IBD.

Customer: I am starting her on the prednisone today and a different food.
Dr. Louis Gotthelf, Veterinarian
Experience: 35 years owning a dog and cat veterinary practice. President of an animal emergency clinic
Expert:  Camille-Mod replied 1 year ago.

I'm Camille, and I’m a moderator for this topic. I sent your requested professional a message to follow up with you here, when they are back online. Unfortunately I do not know when this may be, as the professionals come on line as they are available. You don't have to stand by, you will get an email telling you when you have received a response. If I can help further, please let me know. Thank you for your continued patience.

Best,

Camille

Expert:  Dr. Louis Gotthelf replied 1 year ago.
Did you have another question or a follow up to my answer?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

The prednisolone is making it worse. We now do not know what else to do. She is having about 10 loose bowel movements a day.

Ask your vet if your cat can have diphenoxylate with atropine drops (Lomotil) to help control the diarrhea.