petdrz
petdrz, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 30 years of experience in caring for dogs and cats.
21300550

My (3 year old male) cat was in hospital over the weekend for

My (3 year old male) cat was in hospital over the weekend for urinary blockage. He was cleared and sent home yesterday with Prazosin and Buprenorphine. He was urinating normally last night, eating, playing, etc. But about an hour ago he went into the litter box and only urinated a little bit. He was only in the litter box for a few seconds, no yowling or excessive grooming of the area. I called the emergency vet and she said to administer the pain meds because it could just be that he's uncomfortable (but to keep a close eye on him and if a pattern develops, get him in). I gave him the pain meds and now he's under my bed, pretty withdrawn. Is that a normal reaction to Buprenorphine? I'm really worried...
Hello and thanks for trusting me to help you and Sid today. I'm a veterinarian with over 25 years experience and would be happy to work with you.

The scenario that you describe can be worrisome, especially after he has just been through his weekend ordeal. The chance for re-obstruction is very real, but the emergency vet is correct that it may just be irritation of the urinary tract that he is experiencing now and not re-obstruction.

Buprenorphine can cause various types of reactions in cats. Some will be become lethargic, while others will become almost dyphoric (very spacey, disoriented, slow moving). Unfortunately, even if this is a response to the medications, if he is hiding, he is not eating/drinking well and not using the litter box, so it will be hard for you to monitor if he is passing urine or not.

I would keep a very close eye on him over the next few hours. If his behavior is due to the meds, the effect should diminish over time and hopefully he will come out soon. Try to encourage water intake so that he can produce urine. As a worst case scenario, if you are uncertain about the state of his bladder, a quick trip to the vet will be all that is needed to see if he is obstructing again or if he can produce a good stream of urine.

I hope this is helpful. My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions. Kindly rate me when you are done. Thank you for allowing me to assist you.

Dr Z

Thank you kindly for the positive rating. It is truly appreciated.

Good luck with Sid. I hope he is back to his normal self again soon so you can stop worrying!

Please let me know if any other questions arise.

Thanks,

Dr Z
Hello Tina,

Just wondering how things are going with Sid?

Dr Z
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

He's doing well! I ended up bringing him to the vet yesterday afternoon, because I was going in to talk about nutrition anyway and I was worried. Turns out his bladder was empty - he just wasn't allowing it to get full before urinating because it was a little irritated. Since then, everything's been normal. So far, so good! =)

Cheers!

Oh, such a relief to hear!

If you have any questions in the future that I may help you with, ask for Dr Z in the question title or see my profile to request me. You can save my profile to your browser favorites with this link: http://www.justanswer.com/veterinary/expert-0drz-4/

Thanks for the update.

Dr Z