Dr. Z.
Dr. Z., Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 25 years of experience in caring for dogs and cats.

My cat is lethargic, vomiting foam, wont eat or drink, hasnt

My cat is lethargic, vomiting foam, won't eat or drink, hasn't used the litter box since yesterday morning (and is was tiny pebbles size). These symptoms has been going on for 2 days. He is no longer grooming himself and his stomach is very hard. What could be the problem?
Category: Cat
Expert:  Dr. Z. replied 11 months ago.
Hello and thanks for trusting me to help you and Mufasa today. I'm a veterinarian with over 25 years experience and would be happy to work with you.

Based on your description, I am very concerned that he may be experiencing a urinary blockage. If he is not using the litter box to urinate, it may be because his urethra is plugged with crystal and or a mucus plug. This can cause all of the symptoms you describe and can cause him to become very sick. If this is what is occurring and his obstruction is not relieved, it can be fatal.

I would strongly urge you to have him evaluated by a veterinarian as soon as possible, even if that means that he as to be seen at an emergency clinic. This should be treated with urgency as the longer it is left untreated, the poorer the chance for recovery.

If you need help finding somewhere to take him, please let me know and I can try to help you locate a critical care facility if your vet cannot get him right in.

I hope this helps. Please let me know if you have any further questions.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

Mufasa has also been biting around his penis and anal area and howling while doing this...yesterday. Today, he is walking very little but when he does walk it is very slow and walks like he has a problem with his backside. Does this fall within the symptoms of things you have already described?

Expert:  Dr. Z. replied 11 months ago.
Yes, this behavior makes me even more suspicious of a urinary obstruction. Often early on, they will lick at or even bite the area of the penis. They are painful and they don't know why. As the bladder becomes more distended, it becomes harder to move around or groom and they become more and more lethargic. It is not impossible for the bladder to rupture, so relieving the obstruction (if present) is of utmost importance. His signs are almost classic, so I would seek intervention now.
Dr. Z., Cat Veterinarian
Experience: Over 25 years of experience in caring for dogs and cats.
Expert:  Dr. Z. replied 11 months ago.
Thank you kindly for the positive rating. It is very much appreciated.

I am curious to know what was the diagnosis on Mufasa? Were you able find someone to help him?

Thanks, Dr Z
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

It was just as you thought...we got to the vet and they found a very extended bladder and immediately took Mufasa back to surgery. It was a blockage, not from crystals but from some foreign object that "worked it's way in". Mufasa is recovering well at home and we are just waiting for him to urinate on his own now. They told us to bring him back in if he hasn't done this within 2 days.

I appreciate your advise...we may not have acted as fast, which may have been to late, if we had not received the advise from you yesterday. Thank you.

Expert:  Dr. Z. replied 11 months ago.
Thank you so much for the follow up.

I am so happy to hear that you were able to get him in quickly and that he is hopefully on the mend.

If you have any questions in the future that I may help you with, ask for Dr Z in the question title or see my profile to request me. You can save my profile to your browser favorites with this link: http://www.justanswer.com/veterinary/expert-0drz-4/

Customer: replied 10 months ago.

Unfortunately, Mufasa did not make it and passed away Saturday morning. While he did not have another blockage the vet believes that toxins were the problem in the end.

Expert:  Dr. Z. replied 10 months ago.
I am so sorry to get this message. Unfortunately, that is one of the complications of a blocked cat and it is not uncommon.

Please accept my condolences.

Dr Z
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

Thank you Dr Z. And thank you for the follow up. Take care.