Pet Doc
Pet Doc, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian - BVSc
9138059

hi there my cat acted strange the other day and wiped her

hi there
my cat acted strange the other day and wiped her poo on the floor she was eating a lot then stopped eating completely and looked very uncomfortable and was kind of twitching. i asked advice from a vet who told me it could be worms so i got her panacur as she also just had 5 kittens 4 days ago and this was the most suitable med for her.
she seems to get abit better and eat some tuna but i have just found puke on the floor with blood init.

Do i need to go emergency vet????????????

Pet Doc :

Hi there

Pet Doc :

Thanks for your question regarding your 3 year old girl Coco who has been acting strangely the last few days, as well as having some bloody vomit

Pet Doc :

There are a few things that could be going on here and good on you for having her up to date with her deworming medication

Pet Doc :

This could still be due to a large gastrointestinal worm burden

Pet Doc :

However she could have something else going on here such as a GI obstruction or even an infectious issue.

Pet Doc :

Whether you need to get her seen right now depends on her current behavior

Pet Doc :

For now, please keep an eye on her mucus membranes, capillary refill time and respiratory rate tonight as follows (do be careful she doesn't try to bite you):

Mucus membranes - flip her lip and look at the color of her gums. They should maintain a nice salmon pink color. Get her to the emergency Vet if they appear white or very pale pink, or if they are a dark deep red color.

Capillary Refill time - this measures blood perfusion and test this by putting your thumb on her gum to apply pressure. After you release your thumb you will see the gum blanch. Capillary refill time is the amount of time it takes (in seconds) for the gum to return to a healthy pink color from the blanched white color. If 2 seconds or less don't worry - if it is taking significantly more time, again - off to the emergency Vet.

Respiratory Rate - if she is continuously panting throughout the night this is a sign of shock and or pain and a signal for a trip to the emergency Vet.

Customer:

hi there do you think i should give her more panacur?

Pet Doc :

If she is lethargic, or continues to vomit, then you will need to get her seen tonight

Pet Doc :

If you gave her a full dose just recently (according to her weight), then no, you shouldn't need to give her anymore for another 3 months

Pet Doc :

If she seems otherwise ok right now, then starting her on a bland diet would be a good diea

Pet Doc :

idea

Pet Doc :

Cooked bonless skinless chicken breast and boiled rice is ideal for this

Pet Doc :

But as above - if she seems lethargic now, or continues to vomit, you should get her seen tonight

Customer:

ok thank you she is lethargic and she is breast feeding im so worried

Pet Doc :

Ok - that is a concern

Pet Doc :

It could even be something like a low calcium level causing some of these symptoms

Pet Doc :

For her and the kittens' sake, I do think you are safest getting her checked tonight if you can

Pet Doc :

It is better to be safe than sorry when little ones are involved!

Pet Doc :

Let me know how you get on if you get a chance

Customer:

thank so much

Pet Doc :

No problem

Pet Doc :

Best of luck and keep in touch

Pet Doc :

Don't forget to click a smiley :-D face if this has been helpful

Pet Doc :

Kind Regards,

Pet Doc :

Dr Edwards

Customer:

i shall good night