Pet Doc
Pet Doc, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian - BVSc

My 6 year old male cat has not gone near his litter box in

My 6 year old male cat has not gone near his litter box in about 12 hours. He does not seem to be in any pain and has been eating and acting normally. I've been keeping a pretty close eye on him all day so I don't think he relieved himself anywhere else. Should I be concerned?
Hi there,

Thanks for your question regarding your 6 year old boy Finch who hasn't toileted in the last 12 hours or so! This really is quite a concern as Finch could potentially have a blocked bladder. If this is the case, then this is a medical emergency as he needs to be unblocked.

Finch really does need to be seen this evening if you can get him down to your local ER Vet. Here they quickly need to ascertain whether he could have a blocked bladder. This can often be done, just by feeling his abdomen to see if he has a large full bladder. If he does - he may need to have a urinary catheter placed to relieve any blockage present in his penis. If his bladder is empty and he hasn't urinated all day, then I would be worried about his kidney function given these symptoms. If this was the case, then a full blood test and intravenous fluids would be the best way forward.

As there isn't a lot you can do for your boy from home and as it is always better to be safe than sorry in these situations, I would definitely recommend getting Finch seen in the next couple of hours if you can. As above - if he IS blocked, this is an emergency, so it is best of playing it safe here.

Best of luck and let me know how you get on if you get a chance. Don't forget to click an excited face :-D if this has been helpful. Please be sure to reply using the REPLY TO EXPERT button if you need any further help or advice.

Kind Regards,

Dr Edwards