Dr. Andy, Medical Director
Experience:  UC Davis graduate, Interests: Dermatology, Internal Medicine, Pain Management

Today I brought my cat into the emergency vet because she has

Today I brought my cat into the emergency vet because she has been having issues since she had a declaw last Tuesday. She hasn't been eating on her own and was very weak. After I followed through with all the vets recommendations, I decided to go to another vet and they did blood work and said that her kidneys are failing. She is only 4 years old and has been a very happy and healthy cat up until these past few days. I decided to keep her at the vet over the weekend so that they could hydrate her and try to flush out some of the toxins. What are her survival rates?
Welcome! My name isXXXXX am a 2003 graduate from UC Davis, and currently a Medical Director of a veterinary hospital.

I am sorry to hear about this concern for Izzy.

Well, the truth would be we really have no idea, yet.
You need to differentiate if this is kidney failure caused by some complication of a medication that was received or if this is kidney failure because of congenital problems like kidney malformation or polycystic kidney disease (a bunch of cysts in the kidneys).

If due to a medication, the intravenous fluids may be able to flush out the kidneys and help support them until recovered. But, if there is a abnormality in the kidneys and this has nothing to do with the surgery or any drugs given, than the prognosis is unfortunately very poor.

How to tell?
Well, ask the vet about the blood test, if there are any additional irregularities like having a high phosphorous or low blood count.

Also, abdominal ultrasound of the kidneys will be the test of choice to evaluate the architecture of the kidneys for being irregular, cysts, or being really small.

I hope that information has been helpful.
Please remember to select Reply to Expert, if for any reason you need further clarification, have more questions, or were expecting a different type of answer. Prior to leaving a feedback rating, which I greatly appreciate so I am recognized by Justanswer for responding, my goal is to provide you the best answer possible.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

In the blood test everything was in the normal range except for her BUN, CREA, and PHOS. Does this information change anything of what you have told me so far?

Unfortunately, no.

It will really depend on how the values improve after fluid therapy is given, as well as, that ultrasound of the kidneys would really help to ensure there is no obvious structural problems with the kidneys themselves that caused the problem.

Hope that additional information helps. Definitely, reply to me if there is any other way I may assist you. I hope my responses have been satisfactory?
Hi Casey,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Izzy. How is everything going?