Telogen
Telogen, Veterinarian
Experience:  11 years of experience in the veterinary field, in general practice (dogs and cats) and internal medicine.
74576497

My cat is 8 yrs old. He has become increasingly more lethargic..eating

My cat is 8 yrs old. He has become increasingly more lethargic..eating and drinking very little. Urinates only once a day. He looks crippled when he goes up and down stairs and cannot jump off couch or bed. I took him to the vet who didn't know what the problem was but gave me an antibiotic for a possible UTI..no change. What can be causing all this.
Category: Cat
Expert:  Telogen replied 1 year ago.

Telogen :

Hi there! I am a licensed veterinarian and hope I can help you with your kitty's problem.

Telogen :

Has your veterinarian performed any bloodwork or x-rays?

Telogen :

There are many types of diseases that can cause older cats to stop eating and drinking and become lethargic - kidney, liver, and GI diseases are common, and arthritis can cause pain when jumping or climbing.

Telogen :

It sounds like the antibiotic injection did not cause any improvement, so it may be warranted to start with checking bloodwork to see if you can narrow it down to an organ system

Customer:

yes blood work was done as well as a ua..he was not dehydrated..blood work looked ok..but she thought it was possible he had UTI said if the antibiotic didn't work I might consider imaging. He is definitely not better and has had 3 days of the med. Finds a dark place and sleeps all day..has to be coaxed to drink.

Customer:

I really don't want the expense of imaging , but hate to see him suffer but also don't want to lose him

Telogen :

Poor guy. Have you tried heating up canned food and offering different types/flavors of food to entice him to eat? There are also oral prescription pain medications like Buprenex that may make him feel better in the meantime.

Customer:

I might add that 6 weeks ago he was treated for an abcess..he either got bit or snagged on something. They drained it and was on a different antibiotic for a week. He came out of that OK...but I have wondered if something may be left over from that.

Telogen :

Yes, there could be residual pain from that. If the bloodwork was clear then that's a good sign. Did he get bit outdoors - has he been tested for FeLV/FIV?

Telogen :

You may also talk to your vet about doing subcutaneous fluids at home - you can give fluids under the skin with a needle to supplement what he's not drinking on his own

Customer:

I'm not sure if he was tested for the FeLV/FIV but will check into that. ..as well as the sub q fluids at home. Thanks for your input..He did get bit outdoors..he has always been an escape artist..waiting at the door for some visitor to let him out unawares...hasn't done that for a month. One of our first signs that something was amiss

Telogen :

Cats are so good at that! My general plan for kitties with signs like yours and no specific changes on bloodwork is: antibiotic, sub q fluids, buprenex, nausea medication (Cerenia injection), and follow with x-rays and FeLV/FIV if not improving. Good luck with him!

Telogen :

Is there anything else I can answer for you?

Customer:

No..you have been a big help...thank you again

Telogen :

You bet!

Telogen, Veterinarian
Experience: 11 years of experience in the veterinary field, in general practice (dogs and cats) and internal medicine.