Cher
Cher, Feline Specialist
Experience:  Feline Healthcare & Behavior Specialist 40+ years Experience
1470369

My cat had tapeworm when I adopted her back in June. The vet

My cat had tapeworm when I adopted her back in June. The vet gave me a medication for her at that time. A week ago I noticed she had a live tapeworm segment coming out of her rectum. Last Saturday I gave her Profender and then Monday I gave her a flea treatment (I think Frontline) per the vet's directions. Today she has spent a lot of time sleeping and when she got up I noticed dead segments (like sesame seeds) on the area where she was sleeping. Does this mean it worked and killed the worm, or is this a bad sign?
Hello, and welcome!

My name is XXXXX XXXXX it will be my pleasure to assist you today.

It sounds like the treatments have worked and the dead and dried up segments that resemble sesame seeds were either there before she was treated and you didn't notice, or were live segments that have emerged after the treatment and are now dead.

Clean your cat's bed/bedding thoroughly (wash in the machine if possible--if not possible, throw out and get a new one; the same goes for any toys or other items made of cloth, that are not washable).

Also, it would be a good idea to treat your home for fleas so the cycle doesn't begin again. You can use food grade Diatomaceous Earth, available at garden stores or plant nurseries and home improvement stores or hire a professional exterminator who specializes in flea removal, like Fleabusters.

You can sprinkle the 'DE' on your carpets inside and also treat your garden/yard area, if applicable.

With these two treatments, Profender and Frontline, it sounds like you have the problem well in hand!

I hope all will be well with your furry girl!

If you need any additional information or clarification, simply 'Reply' before rating and I will be happy to help with any follow up questions.

If you found my answer helpful, a Positive rating and Positive feedback on the survey, would be greatly appreciated. Thanks! Laughing

If you would like to request me to answer any new, future questions, please begin your post with "For Cher Only" and I will respond as soon as possible.

Warmest regards,
Cher