Candy R.
Candy R., Veterinary Technician
Experience:  Practicing Veterinary Technician for 26 years.Former Veterinary Practice Owner, Technician Trainer
23185754

My cat Bandit has completely liquid yet non-smelly diarrhea

My cat Bandit has completely liquid yet non-smelly diarrhea and has thrown up twice in the past two days. He's a healthy 14 lb 2 year old neutered male and has had no diet changes or anything. He seems lethargic but has been eating and drinking normally. The vomit was yellow and liquid with bits of food in it but I'm wondering if that's bile. Should I rush him to the vet or wait until tomorrow evening after work?
Category: Cat
Expert:  Candy R. replied 1 year ago.
Hello, My name is XXXXX XXXXX I have been a veterinary nurse for 26 years.Thank you for allowing me to assist you today.

I am sorry to hear Bandit is having some trouble. I just have a few questions so I can better assist you.

Just to clarify he is still eating correct?

Does he go outside?

Any chance he got into anything including medications, toxins, plants etc?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

He's still eating and he's an indoor cat. I have plants on my windowsill that he's never gone after to my knowledge except for the catnip: tomatoes, basil, jalapenos, green beans, lantana, cosmos, catnip, and geraniums. We have ant bait in hard plastic shells on the ground but I've never seen him notice them and they're wedged under a shelf.

Expert:  Candy R. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for the additional information.

Many things can cause diarrhea including
* Eating something they should not have such as the plants. I would suggest removing the geranium even if he has never touched it as this is toxic to cats. Even to much cat nip can cause some diarrhea. If he got in to any of the bait traps while not toxic it can cause digestive upset.
* Intestinal Parasites
* Bacterial infection

Eating is a good indicator of how a cat feels so as long as he is eating I do not think you need to rush to the ER unless he seems to decline this evening. I would however have him seen tomorrow for an exam and fecal test to look for parasites, bacteria etc.

One thing you can do tonight to help is offer a bland diet of boiled chicken and white rice or chicken baby food with some boiled white rice this will allow the stomach to rest and help firm the stool.Make sure the baby food has no onions and or garlic in the ingredients.

I hope this helps. Please reply back if you have additional questions or concerns and I will be happy to continue.
Candy
Candy R., Veterinary Technician
Experience: Practicing Veterinary Technician for 26 years.Former Veterinary Practice Owner, Technician Trainer