Rebecca, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian for 29 years
11877925

My cat has holes in its jaws where it had teeth. It is also

Customer Question

My cat has holes in it's jaws where it had teeth.
It is also swollen under the jaw almost to the neck
How do I get the swelling out?
Category: Cat
Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.

RebeccaVet :

RebeccaVet :

I am sorry to hear about Kitty.

RebeccaVet :

Where her teeth pulled, or did they fall out?

RebeccaVet :

My name isXXXXX am a veterinarian, and will do my best to help.

RebeccaVet :

It sounds like she may have an infection. The warm and cool compresses are a great idea. Is she eating and drinking still?

RebeccaVet :

If this is an infection, she may need antibiotics, and medication to reduce pain and swelling.

RebeccaVet :

If she is not eating, I would be worried about her becoming dehydrated, so I hope she is still eating and drinking.

RebeccaVet :

I am not seeing responses from you. I hope you can see what I am saying.

RebeccaVet :

I will try to connect another way if I do not hear from you.

Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.
I hope you can see what I am seeing now.

I am worried about her if she is not eating.

Let me know how else I can help you, or what questions I can answer.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I don't know what happened inside her mouth. She looked up at me one day and I noticed she looked swollen. Later found the holes in her mouth.

Is there anything that I can use besides antibiotics? I can't afford a $200 vet bill. I am now using a saline solution to clean out the mouth.

Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.
If there is an infection, antibiotics would be best. If she is eating, and has a healthy immune system, she may over come the infection on her own. In that case, the good nursing care you are doing: cool compresses, keeping her eating and drinking is all you can do.

I would not use peroxide in the mouth, but the saline is a good idea.

It should not cost $200 to have her examined and get antibiotics, at least not in my area.

Please let me know what else I can answer.

Rebecca, Cat Veterinarian
Experience: Veterinarian for 29 years
Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.
Hello Jean,
How is Kitty doing today?

Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for the good rating! How is she doing?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Kitty is being treated with the saline solution several times a day.

I spoon feed canned cat food with milk to make it soupy. Also make sure she gets water by giving it to her with a medicine dropper. Hoping this will help her.

Thank You

Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.
Glad to hear she is getting some nutrition and liquids. Thank you for the update.