Terri, Feline Healthcare Expert
Experience:  Expert in feline health and behavior. 20 years experience with cats.

why does my 2 yr old adopted cat, Ive had him two weeks, only

why does my 2 yr old adopted cat, I've had him two weeks, only show aggression when I wake up and my hand is out. he only play nips all other times?

Thanks so much for requesting me!

Can you please answer a few questions so I can help with Monk?

What times do you feed him?

what foods does he eat?

where does he sleep?

do you have any other pets?

After your reply, please give me a few minutes to type detailed answer.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I feed him around 6 in the evening, wet food, and when I wake up 5-6 am. But he just did it again, lying on his side he won't let me pet him, he claws and bites. He never scratched me or drew blood but would have had I continued.

So far I was told to feed him Friskies, Chicken, Beef and I found out his favorite is Salmon.Hard food id Science Diet and Whiskas.

He sometimes sleeps with me then moves into a chair.

No other pets.

I am in the kitchen now and he is meowing for wet food which he had this am but didn't finish...his bowl is full with hard food.

Dear friend

Thanks so much for your helpful reply.

This is NOT a mean or aggressive cat. He just becomes overstimulated.

Your cat is a bit hyper. He has what we call misdirected aggression however,
his behavior is not actually meant to be aggressive. He is treating humans as
though they were other cats..So to stop him we must act the exact same way as
another cat would treat him

The trick is to watch his body language and stop petting the instant you see
his tail swish or her ears go back.

Monk is seeking your attention. He gets bored and wants food or for you to play with him.

I had a similar problem with one of mine.

I put a stop to it by teaching him he will NEVER get my attention if he uses
his teeth or claws. He can only get petting when he approaches me calmly and

NEVER SPRAY WATER! That is a definite NONO!

It only further fires him up.

Instead, say NO! Then use a throw pillow to push him back.

Turn your back and ignore him because he will accept any attention - even negative.

Give him food or a treat when he comes to you calmly.

Since he has no other cat to play with he figures YOU are his playmate.

Cats have a cycle HUNT/EAT/SLEEP.

canned food is best for cats:

So you have to tire him out. Schedule 3, 20 minute play sessions a day, especially early morning and evening. Use a feather wand or laser pointer to make him tired.

You are going to make him work for his food.

Feed him after his exercise session.

In addition, put out foraging toys to appeal to his hunting instincts.

Get a feliway collar to keep him calm:

Only give him affection after he hunts, plays and eats so he is nice and calm (and tired) A full tummy makes for a sleepy kitty.

Please let me know how things go. If you have any questions along the way, I will be here for you.

Warmest best wishes,

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I will get rid of the water bottle, I have noticed that he avoids me more. I will get a collar. Should I feed him every time during the day, he plays fetch with me and brings the ball back. He stops when he is tired. He never scratched me or bit other than what I described. He just did it again and I walked away, he's now sleeping after a session with the ball. He is very affectionate, putting his head on my lap after eating mostly and purring. If he comes to me should I reward him with wet food?

It is my pleasure to help someone as wonderful as you!

Bless you for adopting Monk and giving him an awesome home!

He LOVES you and has bonded with you. He does not mean to hurt you. He just thinks you are his playmate.

Since he is 2 years old, I would only actually feed him twice a day morning and evening BUT leave out dry food 24/7 in case he wants to munch.

Get a box of cat treats and give him one when he is calm so he sees good behavior gets rewarded.

You could also use bits of tuna, fish, chicken or cold cuts.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

He woke up and brought the ball to me but meows in the kitchen because he wants wet food. I always leave the dry food out. I don't have treats, what do you suggest?

He also got bold enough to go outside my apt down the stairs, he can't get outside because of the bottom door. Would not come back when I called him but snapped my fingers and he ran back.

How much of a can of Friskies Salmon, his favorite so far, should I give him?

I would feed a cat his age one to two cans a day in the beginning. Once he gets used to having food readily available he will get on a normal schedule to about one can a day.

He is meowing more because he wants attention than food.

You can use anything he likes for treats like chicken, fish or cold cuts.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Last question for now! Should I feed him what I am eating? He doesn't beg but stares at me for a minute then walks away.

Thanks and I'm sure I will have more questions

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Your answers make sense...the last time I had a cat I was 10 and he scratched me bloody!

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi, Did not receive answers to last two questions.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Why won't' he let me pick him up for more than 30 secs, he squirms doesn't bite or scratch. And sitting on the couch, he keeps his head on my hip, won't get closer. Will this change over time?

Thank you so much for your positive ratings and generous bonus! You are very kind and I appreciate it very much

I am sorry I went out on an emergency and did not answer your last two questions.

You can give him some people food BUT beware if he gets too much he will get spoiled and not want to eat his cat food.

As for not liking being picked up, mos cats so not want to be held BUT they will sit on your lap.

Wait until he is nice and tired and full from eating. Then put him on your lap and gently scratch his back. he should start purring.Then he should be relaxed enough to stay there

Trying to contain him when he is in his play mode is like trying to hold on to the energizer bunny LOL

As he gets older he should calm down and be less active.

He is VERY lucky to have YOU!

Please let me know if you still have any questions. I will always be here for you.I am going offline till tomorrow morning at 7am so if you need anything just let me know and I will answer as soon as I sign on.

I'm just following up on our conversation about Monk. How is everything going?