Terri
Terri, Feline Healthcare Expert
Experience:  Expert in feline health and behavior. 20 years experience with cats.
437368

Our mature female spayed outdoor cat has been missing for 8

Our mature female spayed outdoor cat has been missing for 8 days, which is very unusual for her. We are in a rural area, and have called and searched a lot but no response. How far is she likely to have gone or do you think she has come to harm or is lost or staying away on purpose? It is unlikely anybody else is feeding her, certainly no close neighbours. A neighbour's cat used to come and bully her although I tried to stop him and she was scared of him. Would this have caused her to leave, and if so will she come back at all? How can I get her to come home? There is one shed I haven't been able to access but she could not be trapped in it as there is an opening at the side big enough for a cat, but if she was in there and sick or injured would she meow when I call? Panicking a lot now as she was a great cat, and I never thought she would just disappear. She seemed able to tolerate the neighbour's cat although a bit scared.  I forgot to say I am in Ireland so there are no big cat predators in the area or anything

Category: Cat
Expert:  Terri replied 1 year ago.

I am so sorry Chukkie is missing.

Please answer a few questions so I can try to help.

Was she eating normally and feeling well before she disappeared?

In what way did the neighbor cat bully her?

is he still around?

do you have a shelter or humane society that could have picked her up?

Thanks,

Terri

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

She was eating normally and playing a bit with toys, and grooming another younger cat I have had for a while that she gets on well with. The only unusual thing was a couple of tufts of hair had fallen out of her tail as she was grooming it the last evening I saw her and there was a tiny bald spot. The neighbour's cat comes and goes, maybe around a couple of hours a day on average. I do shoo it away but it keeps coming back. He used to chase her sometimes and bite her if he could, but not on a constant basis. Should I try harder to get him to stay away/ No shelter would have picked her up in this area.

thanks,

Josephine

Expert:  Terri replied 1 year ago.

Hi Josephine,

Thanks so much for your helpful reply.

Usually, when a cat disappears she is hiding because she feels sick.

It is possible the neighbor cat ran her off but where could she go?

Check up in trees if she has claws. Look under anything she could crawl into, bushes, holes, sheds, garages, even discarded furniture, appliances, tires etc.

Walk around shaking a jar of dry food, sit outside with smelly cat food.

You can even bring out the younger kitty in a carrier so Chukkie can smell her.

Put up posters with her picture on trees and posts in a 3 square mile area.

Please let me know when you find her.

Best wishes and prayers for her safe return,

Terri

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

thanks very much for your reply. do you think she would meow if she was in the shed I can't access and sick and not able to come out even thouh there is an opening? Do the couple of tufts coming out of her tail mean she was sick or stressed or was it probably just a coincidence? If she ran away she could really just roam fields but maybe she got lost doing this. I really don't know what to think as it is so unexpected. I will follow your advice, thanks

Expert:  Terri replied 1 year ago.

Dear XXXXXphine,

You are very welcome! It is my pleasure to help someone as wonderful as you!

If she is stuck or hiding in the shed,she may be afraid to come out or even meow.She may even be hurt.

So you MUST get it open and look inside.

If she could hunt and find food in the fields she could be roaming. Most cats can fins their way home BUT Chukkie may be hurt so I would search through the fields if she were my cat.

I am praying you find her soon............please let me know!

Love,

Terri

Terri, Feline Healthcare Expert
Experience: Expert in feline health and behavior. 20 years experience with cats.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I just wanted to let you know that Chukkie came home safely late last night quite scared and with a couple of sore looking bites but nothing too serious. I had been calling her and shaking her food bag earlier in the evening so maybe she heard that. Thanks again for your help,

Josephine

Expert:  Terri replied 1 year ago.

Hi Josephine,

I am SOOOOOOOOOO happy Chukkie came home!
That is GREAT news!!

See prayers work!!!

Love,

Terri

Expert:  Terri replied 1 year ago.
Hi Josephine,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Chukkie. How is everything going?

Terri
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi Terri,

Thanks for asking. Chukkie is recovering o.k., her bites are healing slowly, she is still quieter and resting more than normal, I am hoping she will be more back to herself in a few days.

Best wishes,

Josephine

Expert:  Terri replied 1 year ago.

Hi Josephine,

I can't tell you how happy it makes me to know Chukkie is home and well!

She is VERY lucky to have YOU to care for her!

I hope she will soon be good as new!

Hugs,

Terri