Terri, Feline Healthcare Expert
Experience:  Expert in feline health and behavior. 20 years experience with cats.

hello ... i have a large cat that lives in the house and you

hello ... i have a large cat that lives in the house and you cannot touch his ears with out him dislikeing it.... i have looked in his ears and see nothing... but.... he shakes his head and i refer to it as slinging snot.... it is not comming from his ears... but is always scratching them.... sceems to be more behind the ear...... not sure what is going on but i bet you guys might have an idea or two thank you jackie in sd

Hi Jackie,

How long has Paulie been shaking his head?

Has he aways been sensitive about his ears?

when did you put ear mite meds in his ears?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

hello paulie is a rescue cat and has always had problems.... it has been at least 6 months or more on the ear mite stuff as there is no sign on mites at all his ears are clean....yes his ears have always been sensiteve ....

Hi Jackie,

It is my pleasure to "meet" you!

Bless you for rescuing Paulie and giving hm a wonderful home. You are AWESOME!

In my experience, cats that shake their head either have itching or discomfort in their ears, a bad tooth, mucus in ther nose or an issue with their mouth.

The ears, nose and mouth are intimately related so check roof, under tongue, cheek pouches and between lips and teeth.

Ear mites live deep inside the ear. You cannot see them with the naked eye.

read more here:

Since that medication you used is very messy and can even sting, I would just apply monthly revolution to Paulie. It kills fleas, ticks, ear ites, some worms and even affords some heart worm protection.

If you think he has an upper respiratory infection he can have benedryl @ one mg per lb every 1 2 hours.

If he has an ear infection deep inside the ear he may need vet scripted medication

Please let me know how Paulie is doing.

If you still have questions, just press reply and I will be here for you.

Warmest best wishes,