Cher
Cher, Feline Specialist
Experience:  Feline Healthcare & Behavior Specialist 40+ years Experience
1470369

13 yr Indoor/Outdoor cat ran away due to boxes/furniture

I took in an outdoor cat 11 years ago. She is indoor/outdoor, but I always keep her inside while I sleep. 3 days ago, I had to bring in all of my sisters furniture and belongings into my patio due to her being evicted. My cat Always hangs out in my patio and on the wall... This is where I also feed her. . The patio became a huge mess, unable to even walk through. Even the area where she eats and relaxes was stacked with boxes and also with my sisters cats things such as cats food, toys, litter box etc. The day after, my cat went missing and I haven't seen her since. I have looked everywhere. Is it a possibility that she got afraid of all the "crap" in my patio and was on "her territory" that she ran off? I cleaned the entire patio the day after she went missing. She has never run off ever!!! I am very worried and don't know what to do. I haven't seen her in any distress during the past days... She has been eating and drinking water. Thank you
Category: Cat
Expert:  Cher replied 1 year ago.

Hello, and welcome!

My name is XXXXX XXXXX it will be my pleasure to assist you today.

My apologies that it took so long for you to receive an answer; different experts are online at various times and I recently logged in and read your question.

I'm so sorry to hear that Capu is missing. You have done all the right things, but in addition, I would post pictures with your details and info in local vet offices, call the local animal shelters and tell them to be on the lookout for her if she is brought in, and call animal control and ask if they have picked up any 'stray's in the past few days matching her description. In addition, walk through all the areas you have every day, at dawn and dusk (when it's most quiet) and shake a container of dry cat food, calling her name. It's good you're looking under bushes and in wooded areas, because she may be hiding out there.

It does make sense that the changes on the patio (her territory) and hustle/bustle of all your sister's things and your sister's cat, caused Capu to become very anxious and feel she was losing her territory to another feline and this may have been the reason she has not yet returned. It's also possible that she wandered farther than usual and is lost and can't find her way home.

Put your fliers up on trees and in store windows in your neighborhood and ask kids if they've seen her. Neighborhood kids can be a great source of information when it comes to finding lost pets. I've had personal experience with this.

I do hope your Capu returns home safely and please keep me posted on how things are going. Thanks!

When she comes home, use Feliway, a calming cat pheromone that comes in a spray and plug in diffuser, to help her calm down and feel less stressed. Also, try to keep the two cats separated so she doesn't experience any more anxiety at this time. Here is more information about Feliway To help her de-stress, you can also try a nurtureCALM collar which contains cat-appeasing pheromones as well. Here is more information: CLICK

My best thoughts and prayers are with you that your Capu will return very soon, and in good condition!

If you need any additional information or clarification, simply 'Reply' back before rating, begin your reply with "For Cher" and I will be happy to help with any further questions you may have.

If my answer has been helpful, a Positive rating and Positive feedback on the survey would be greatly appreciated. Thanks! Laughing

If you would like to request me to answer any new, future questions, please begin your post with "For Cher Only" and I will respond as soon as possible.

Thank you for entrusting your important question about your Capu to me and Just Answer!
Warmest regards,
Cher
Cher, Feline Specialist
Experience: Feline Healthcare & Behavior Specialist 40+ years Experience
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your quick response. I will do the rest first thing in the morning. I will keep you posted if I find her and thank you for the extra tips. Anything else that I should do please let me know. Thanks again
Expert:  Cher replied 1 year ago.
Hello again, and you're most welcome!

Your positive feedback is truly appreciated; thank you!

It's my pleasure to be of help to you and Capu and thanks for the promise to keep me posted!

Warmest wishes,
Cher

PS: no additional information is needed at this time; this is simply a 'thank you'! : )
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hello Cher,

I am still searching for my cat =(

Something that I forgot to mention is that her front left tooth was somewhat loose. I took her to the vet January, where the Doctor said it should be taken care of in the near future. She became hesitant when he forcefully pushed her tooth; but other than that, she has been eating and drinking normally.

I began reading about cats that wander off to pass when they are ill. Could the tooth be a reason is she did run away to pass?

She recently found 2 spots on dirt under the trees that she loves to hang out and I always found her relaxing and just enjoying the day. I also read that cats that run off to pass would go near the area in a hidden spot; yet I have looked under every tree around my area. Any suggestions?

Attachment: 2013-08-28_030001_capu_flyer.doc

Thank you again

Expert:  Cher replied 1 year ago.
Hi again, and thanks for your update.

I'm so sorry you have not yet found Capu! : (

Thanks for including the flyer--it's great! One thing I didn't see on the flyer is her name, unless it was cut off and I couldn't view it. If her name is not included, I would redo the flyers and add it. Also, I would say "I must have wandered too far and gotten lost"

If she was in pain due to her loose tooth, she wouldn't have been eating and drinking as usual, which you said she was doing. I don't have a feeling she slipped away to pass.

She may have wandered further than your immediate area, so you can start searching further away. Ask everyone you see on the street if they have seen this cat (show them the flyer or give them a copy).

I can't believe we're neighbors! I'm near Ft. Lauderdale!

If you can get as many friends, neighbors, relatives, etc., to walk different areas and give out and/or post flyers, that would help you cover a larger area.

She's a beautiful cat! Is she calico/torti? I love her multi-colored coat!

Try to do what I suggested, in searching at dawn and dusk, walking and shaking a container of dry food, while calling her name. I hope you have posted your flyer in all local vet offices, the ASPCA/Humane Society and called Animal Control in case they find her and think she's a stray. You can also give them a flyer so they know what she looks like.

I still hold out hope that you will find her or she will come home. I'm praying for you, that this happens, soon!

Warmest regards,
Cher
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you so much for your quick response. I am going to edit the flyer with your suggestions and try again to look around and speak to neighbors. Will keep you posted. Thanks again for your prayers... They are much needed :(
Stephanie
Expert:  Cher replied 1 year ago.
Hi again, Stephanie and you're most welcome!

I will be thinking positive thoughts for you and Capu and pray she will soon be home. I'm glad you're going to incorportate my suggestions into your flyer; hopefully that might make a positive difference and the information will reach more people.

Thank you for promising to keep me posted; I appreciate it!

All my best thoughts are with you that you find your furry girl!

Warmest regards,
Cher