Candy R.
Candy R., Veterinary Technician
Experience:  Practicing Veterinary Technician for 26 years.Former Veterinary Practice Owner, Technician Trainer

Hi. My male cat is 8 years old. He has had a bladder infection

Hi. My male cat is 8 years old. He has had a bladder infection in the past and had a catheter and iv fluids. He started visiting the litter box over and over and we saw that he was peeing blood outside of the box. We took him the vet and she said he was not retaining fluid (bladder was empty). We did antibiotics and medication to relax his urethra. He continues to pee blood and has lost a lot of weight. He is still eating and drinking and visiting the litter box frequently. Can you give me an idea of what it could be and what tests a vet should do? Thanks

Hello, My name is XXXXX XXXXX I have been a veterinary nurse for 26 years.Thank you for allowing me to assist you today.

I am sorry to hear that Kit Kat is having some trouble.

Can you tell me if blood work, urine test and x rays were done?

If urine was done was it sent out to the lab?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

no tests have been done yet. They asked about a urine collection. Kit Kat is only peeing drops here and there. Can these drops be collected over several days via syringe and stored in a sterile jar and then refridgerated?

Thank you for the additional information.

Your vet can get a sample using a sterile needle going directly into the bladder . If the bladder is not filling at all then we would want to look at how the kidneys are functioning.
If needed your vet could keep him for the day and run IV fluids to help get a good sample.

Blood in the urine can be due to a few things and it is important we locate the cause.
The most common causes are
* Infection in the bladder and or even the kidneys
* Urinary crystals
* Bladder stones
* Bladder cancer.

I would start with a urine sample and blood work. If a sample can be collected then I would suggest sending it out to the lab for testing rather then testing at the vets so not only can any crystals be identified but also infection. The lab will be able to tell if and exactly what bacteria is growing and what medication will kill it as not all antibiotics work for all types of infection.

I would also get x rays done to look for signs of bladder or kidney stones and or tumors in the bladder.

If your vet is unable to get a sample I would suggest getting a second opinion.

I hope this helps and they find the cause soon. Please reply back if you have additional questions or concerns and I will be happy to continue.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you for your reply. Tonight he vomited up for the first time that we have noticed. Does any of the above possible illnesses, cause vomiting?

You are very welcome.
Yes infection, decline kidney function and or stones and partial blockage due to crystals can all cause vomiting as well.

I would try to get blood work and urine tests done tomorrow if possible or he may continue to decline
Hi Helen,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Kit Kat. How is everything going?

Candy R.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

We had his urine tested. They said there were lots of crystals and some bacteria. He is going to go on an antibiotic for the bacteria but they tell me that a change to a specific cat food will clear up the crystals. Is that all it takes to clear things up??

Depending on the type of crystal yes changing foods will not only dissolve them but keep them from reforming.

I am so happy you were able to get the urine check and hopefully the antibiotic and the food will resolve the problem. Give him a good pet from me and tell him I hope he feels better soon.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you for the follow up. :)