Candy R.
Candy R., Veterinary Technician
Experience:  Practicing Veterinary Technician for 26 years.Former Veterinary Practice Owner, Technician Trainer
23185754

Hi. Im really concerned. My cat was spayed this past Wednesday.

Customer Question

Hi. Im really concerned. My cat was spayed this past Wednesday. It is Sunday now and my vet isnt open til 7am in the morning. I was examining her incision area and noticed there is this lump under it, it seems big and firm and round like a ball. It doesnt look red and I cant tell she has been pulling at the sutures. She has been eating and drinking. She seems kinda whiney but not too bad. I am worried though and not sure rather I am just over worrying or if I need to find an emergency vet instead of waiting til morning. I took some pictures so going to try to add them so you can see it but its my first time on here so not sure how yet.
Category: Cat
Expert:  Candy R. replied 1 year ago.
Hello, My name is XXXXX XXXXX I have been a veterinary nurse for 26 years.Thank you for allowing me to assist you today.

I am sorry to hear Shadow has you worried. You can use the paper clip icon to post your pictures or you can load them on a site such as photo bucket and send me a link.

Is there anything draining from the lump?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

No drainage & here is a few pics, hope I did it right. Thank you for responding so fast

Expert:  Candy R. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for the great pictures.

This looks like she may be forming a seroma at the surgical site. Seromas are areas underneath the skin that fill with fluid. This can be a reaction to the internal sutures or just a response to the incision itself.

In most cases this is nothing to worry about and the body will reabsorb the fluid in a few days. I do not think you have to rush to the ER tonight but I would give your vet a call in the morning and just have them take a quick peak at it to be sure that the one of the sutures in the muscle has not opened. I do not think that is the case but always best to have it checked.In rare cases if due to a reaction to the sutures the area has to be reopened but again that is rare.

I would try not to worry , but make sure she is not licking the area at all or this can lead to infection and opening of the incision site.

I hope this helps ease your mind. Please reply back if you have additional questions and I will be happy to continue.
Candy
Candy R., Veterinary Technician
Experience: Practicing Veterinary Technician for 26 years.Former Veterinary Practice Owner, Technician Trainer
Expert:  Candy R. replied 1 year ago.
Hi Brandi,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Shadow. How is everything going?

Candy R.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi. I went ahead I talked to vet first thing Monday morning like you said and ended up taking her in to get it checked. He agrees & thinks its a reaction to the internal sutures. He said it was bigger then the usual lumps he sees though & its firm so he doesnt think its fluid. He didnt think it was anything to worry about. It didnt seem to cause her pain when he was checking it so we go back in Friday to get sutures out and he is going to recheck it then. Other then that he said it looked like it was healing good and shes not pulling on sutures. I actually think today the lump looked slightly smaller. She is still being whiny & not playing but I guess its only been a week so maybe im rushing it. Thank you again for the help & for checking on her :)

Expert:  Candy R. replied 1 year ago.
I am glad to hear you had it checked and your vet also thinks it may be due to the sutures. Most of these reactions resolve on their own and hopefully that will be the case with her.

I am not worried about her not playing we actually ask that they not be allowed to play to much until the sutures are out so it actually a good thing that she is being a little cautious.

Thank you so much for taking the time to update me and please give her a good head scratch from me