Anna
Anna, Cat Expert, Biologist
Experience:  Thirty years of cat ownership. Writer for cat/pet magazines. B.A. in biology. Vet assistant.
6012901

Does anyone know what is the cost for chemotherapy for cats

Does anyone know what is the cost for chemotherapy for cats in renal lymphoma in Queens, NY? And what is the percentage of remission for such therapy?

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I'm a biologist with a special interest in cancer treatment in companion animals. I'm sorry to hear of your cat's diagnosis. Lymphoma in general is one of the most responsive to treatment types of cancer. However, of the different types of lymphoma, renal is among the least responsive. About 50% of cats treated with chemo go into a remission that lasts 9 months to a year. The other 50% either doesn't respond to chemo at all, or have shorter remissions of less than 6 months. with no treatment at all, most affected cats live only a few weeks to 2 months. It's usually possible for an oncologist to determine if chemo is working fairly quickly. So, you could start chemo, and then make decisions about it as you progress with treatment. Here is a site with more general information:

http://www.fabcats.org/owners/cancer/lymphoma.html

This one is more technical - scroll down for the section on renal lymphoma:

http://inpractice.bmj.com/content/28/10/585.full.pdf

Several different protocols can be used for chemo. the most effective ones use more than one drug. Here you can see very detailed descriptions of the various protocols:

It would be difficult for anyone to give you the cost of chemo. There are several reasons for this. An oncologist has to determine the best protocol for you cat. Some protocols are much more expensive than others, but it would be pointless to use a less expensive one that won't help your cat at all. Costs also can vary a great deal from one clinic to the next. The best way to get an idea of costs would be to talk to your oncologist. He/she can probably give you an estimate once it is determined which protocol would be best. That being said, a rough estimate for a basic protocol would be around $1000, plus additional for testing. If you qualify, the Dog and Cat Cancer Fund helps needy pet owners pay for chemo. You can get more information here:

http://www.dccfund.org/

If you have more questions, let me know by clicking on REPLY. I'll be hoping for the best possible outcome for your cat.

Anna

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions. Please remember to rate my service only after you have all the information you need. Thank you!

I just want to clarify - the approximate cost I gave you above is per month. How long chemo has to be continued depends on an individual cat's response.

Anna
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Anna,

Thank you for giving me such detailed info!

As with chemotherapy, does the cat need to check her blood every time prior to receiving therapy? As I read through the link that you sent me, I noticed that it mentions about drug therapy that will prolong a cat's lift by over a year. Is that something you will recommend, or does chemo have its significance advantage over traditional medicine use?

Once again, we thank you for your kindness.

You're welcome. By 'drug therapy' the website was referring to chemo. It is a form of drug therapy. There is no traditional medicine that cna get results like chemo does.

As for the blood tests, many oncologists do them every time because it is the best way to monitor progress and potential side effects. however, this is another thing that may be individualized. I'm sorry not to be able to give you exact details, but there are just too many things that depend on your cat's case and what your oncologist prefers.

Anna
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Yes I totally understand. We really appreciate your help and will definitely look into that.
I wish you the best of luck in treating this.

Anna