Dr. Drew
Dr. Drew, Veterinarian
Experience:  Small Animal Medicine and Surgery
6340741

my 14-year-old male cat has hematuria

my 14-year-old male cat has hematuria

Drew :

Hello, thanks for your question today! I am Dr. Drew, and I am a licensed veterinarian. I'll be happy to help you in any way I can.

Drew :

Hematuria can be a serious sign, of problems such as blood clotting disorders, or bladder cancer,

Drew :

but more often it is a sign of bladder inflammation or infection.

JACUSTOMER-sya2aihb- :

Should I take him to a vet immediately or can I do that tomorrow?

Drew :

if Gizmo is eating and drinking, and has gums that appear to be pink (not pale or discolored), then it may not be something requiring immediate care.

JACUSTOMER-sya2aihb- :

he has had his teeth cleaned a week ago

Drew :

If Gizmo isn't acting well, and refuses food or water, or has pale gums, then a veterinary exam tonight would be safest.

JACUSTOMER-sya2aihb- :

and I've been giving him antibiotics

Drew :

well, that makes the likelihood of infection less,

JACUSTOMER-sya2aihb- :

he has eaten today

Drew :

but many cats develop non-infectious bladder inflammation.

JACUSTOMER-sya2aihb- :

idiopathic cystitis?

Drew :

correct.

JACUSTOMER-sya2aihb- :

he's had that before

Drew :

well, then that would be the most likely explanation.

JACUSTOMER-sya2aihb- :

what should I give for pain?

JACUSTOMER-sya2aihb- :

is there anything I can find at petsmart

Drew :

no, there's no over the counter medicines that are safe and effective for cats, sold at petsmart or other pet shops.

Drew :

aspirin is rarely suggested due to side effects,

Drew :

and tylenol must NEVER be given to cats.

JACUSTOMER-sya2aihb- :

ok

JACUSTOMER-sya2aihb- :

he seems in pain

Drew :

I am not surprised, cystitis is a painful condition, and that is justification for seeking care tonight, if he can't get comfortable.

JACUSTOMER-sya2aihb- :

thank you

JACUSTOMER-sya2aihb- :

I'm not sure there is someone open

Drew :

you're welcome, and I hope Gizmo feels better soon.

JACUSTOMER-sya2aihb- :

thank you! I hope so too

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you doctor Drew!

I took your advice and took him to the vet although he had quieted down a bit. They found an infection and prescribed: Veraflox (pradofloxacin) liquid for about 10 days and Buprenorphine (0.3 mg/ml) for the pain every 8 hours for 3 days. My question:

- isn't the pain medication excessive (3 days)?

- how is it that he got the infection in the first place - while being on antibiotics (after the dental cleaning) - Biomox (amoxicilin) - he was on the 7th day of the treatment. On the package it says: "for dogs only" but I asked the nurse and she said it's something they usually do: the medication actually works for both cats and dogs but because it's in the approval stage (if I understood correctly), it's supposed to say that on the pack.

- is it OK to allow my cat to sleep in a warmer environment - he seems to prefers the heat cranked up - won't that encourage the bacteria? What else can I do to help the infection clear up/make him more comfortable?

Many thanks,

Flavia and Gizmo

3 days is the usual duration I prescribe pain medicine for in these urinary cases. I don't consider that excessive in the slightest.

Unless a culture was done, an infection wasn't proven to be present, to be honest. There may have been suspicion of infection based on urinalysis. Urinary infections are typically the result of bacteria living in the lower urinary tract, evading the cat's defenses and climbing their way higher up.

No, a warmer environment will not encourage bacteria.

I'd suggest giving the medicines as prescribed, and follow up with your vet within 3-4 days if no improvement is seen.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

yes, a culture was done during the consultation and a few drops of urine were put under a microscope and that's how they came up with the diagnosis.

Thank you for your help!