Cher, Feline Specialist
Experience:  Feline Healthcare & Behavior Specialist 40+ years Experience

My cat is 14 and is an indoor cat. She has crusty sore on

My cat is 14 and is an indoor cat. She has crusty sore on her neck and they are now moving down her chest.

Hello,Pam and welcome!

My name is XXXXX XXXXX it will be my pleasure to assist you today.

If the crusty sores are spreading, it's possible Meeble may have ringworm and this can only be diagnosed with a special light, at the vet's office. It would be a good idea to get her in the see the vet in person as soon as possible, so you can get a definite diagnosis and treatment, if needed. Be careful when you handle her, as ringworm can be transmitted from cats to humans and vice-versa.

I hope all will be well with Meeble!

Warmest regards,

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Relist: Other.
I knew I should take her to the vet and wanted more than that. I am a very low income person and was hoping to save some money

Hello again, Pam and thanks for your reply.

You hadn't mentioned you were a low income person and might have trouble taking her to the vet due to this reason. I'm listing some helpful sites for you below, to try to get financial aid.

It's difficult to tell you how to treat a condition that cannot be diagnosed definitely over the internet. The cause of these crusty sores must be determined and this has to be done in person. A skin scraping (painless) might provide more diagnostic tools for the vet. However, if the description I included about ringworm sounds like what she has, you can get an anti-fungal creme for humans over the counter in your pharmacy or supermarket like Lotrimin AF; however, not all over the counter ringworm remedies are safe for cats and your vet should always be consulted first. Here is more information:

If you need help paying for vet care, the following two animal hospitals offer free online coupons:

The Humane Society helps pet parents find affordable vet care:

The organizations at this site may help with vet fees:

Care Credit is accepted by most vet offices. It is a credit card that can be paid off in lower monthly installments with some plans offering no interest for a certain period of time:

Call Cat Rescue Organizations in your area and ask who they use; I'm sure they can recommend some lower cost vets to you.

I hope all will be well with your kitty!

If you need any additional information or clarification, simply 'Reply' back before rating and I will be happy to help with any follow up questions.

If my answer has been helpful, a Positive rating and Positive feedback on the survey would be greatly appreciated. Thanks! Laughing

If you would like to request me to answer any new, future questions, please begin your post with "For Cher Only" and I will respond as soon as possible.

Thank you for entrusting your important question about your kitty to Just Answer!
Warmest regards,
Hi Pam,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Meeble. How is everything going?