Cher, Feline Specialist
Experience:  Feline Healthcare & Behavior Specialist 40+ years Experience

My cat is irritable, the white parts of his eyes are showing,

My cat is irritable, the white parts of his eyes are showing, he is low energy, and he just started drooling a bit. Yesterday it seemed as if he was coughing like something was in his throat. He is eating fine. We got a new kitten a couple of months ago, and he was just finally adjusting and getting along with him, but now he wants nothing to do with him. He is usually extremely affectionate, but this stopped 2 days ago. Any ideas what this could be?

Hello, Becca and welcome!

My name is XXXXX XXXXX it will be my pleasure to assist you today.

I'm sorry Ninja is not feeling well.

It's possible that the kitten brought an infection into the house, like an upper respiratory infection (kitty cold), which is not unusual, especially if you got him from a shelter or pet store.

From your description of his symptoms, it would difficult to say with any certainty what could be wrong, but possibilities could include a dental problem like an abscessed tooth, sores in the mouth, infected gums, something stuck in the mouth (check the roof of his mouth and under his tongue, back of tongue) causing the drooling, however, drooling can also be a sign of nausea so he may have an intestinal problem and this is causing him to be nauseated. Maybe he ate something he wasn't supposed to or he could be constipated and feels like he wants to throw up, hence the coughing. He may have a big hairball he can't get rid of.

The third eyelid showing, indicates general illness in the body and his low energy is of concern. Also, if you haven't seen him urinate today, he may have a urinary blockage, which is an emergency in male cats. You can read more HERE

It would be advisable to have him seen by a vet as soon as possible, to get a diagnosis and treatment, so he's feeling better soon. If he seems really poorly, you can bring him to an ER vet center now, if you are able. If you don't know any ER vet centers in your area, please let me know your city/state/zipcode and I will research them for you.

I hope all will be well with your Ninja! Also, try to keep him separated from the kitten, since you don't know what he has and don't want the kitten to get sick if Ninja is contagious.

If you need any additional information or clarification, simply 'Reply' back before rating and I will be happy to help with any follow up questions.

If my answer has been helpful, a Positive rating and Positive feedback on the survey would be greatly appreciated. Thanks! Laughing

If you would like to request me to answer any new, future questions, please begin your post with "For Cher Only" and I will respond as soon as possible.

Thank you for entrusting your important question about your kitty to Just Answer!
Warmest regards,
Hi Becca,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Ninja. How is everything going?