Candy R.
Candy R., Veterinary Technician
Experience:  Practicing Veterinary Technician for 26 years.Former Veterinary Practice Owner, Technician Trainer
23185754

Our cat about 3 years of age throws up her food up to a couple

Our cat about 3 years of age throws up her food up to a couple times per day. We have tried different foods with no luck, with the exception of tuna. Any advice?
Category: Cat
Expert:  Candy R. replied 1 year ago.
Hello, My name is XXXXX XXXXX I have been a veterinary nurse for 26 years.Thank you for allowing me to assist you today.

Is she eating canned or dry food?

How are her stools?

How long has this been going on?

Could you give me an example of the different foods you have tried?

Is she able to keep the tuna down?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Both canned and dry. Stools normal. Almost all of the local supermarket brands. Yes she holds tuna and chicken down.
Expert:  Candy R. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for the additional information.

Some cats have trouble with vomiting due to dry food. This is actually pretty common due to either not chewing properly or an intolerance to something in the food.

Another fairly common problem with cats is IBD and this can cause chronic vomiting and or diarrhea.Click here for additional information

A few suggestion I have are
* Feed more canned food then dry
* If feeding dry only small amounts at a time and try something grain free with a novel protein. One that you can get at the grocery store is Purina One Beyond

Give this a few weeks if this does not work then go to a Limited ingredient diet that is grain free with a novel protein source that she has never had such as rabbit, duck, etc. Natural Balance has a good duck and pea formula.This should be both for canned and dry form.

I would start with limiting the amount of dry or trying not to give it at all for 2 weeks and see if the vomiting stops then slowly reintroduce a small amount at a time to see if she begins vomiting again.

I would also suggest trying to add a omega fatty acid supplement to her diet. The easiest way to do this with cats is y using the treat form or liquid that can be added to canned food.

Feed her smaller meals more often to be sure she is not eating to much to fast and this is causing the vomiting. If she free feds I would stop this and just give meals for 2 weeks.

This can take some times to figure out but if you stick with it eventually one of the things I suggested normally works.

I hope this helps give you some options to try. Please reply back if you have additional questions or concerns.
Candy
Candy R., Veterinary Technician
Experience: Practicing Veterinary Technician for 26 years.Former Veterinary Practice Owner, Technician Trainer