Cher
Cher, Feline Specialist
Experience:  Feline Healthcare & Behavior Specialist 40+ years Experience
1470369

We just got a new kitten and 3 days ofter having him my 7 year

We just got a new kitten and 3 days ofter having him my 7 year old cat just stopped eating. She will stare at that food on and off all day but just wont eat it. The kitten is still isolated in his safe room. We have tried baby food, wet food, tuna and nothing has worked. We took her to the vet and the vet gave her a medicine to help increase apatite and it didn't work that was on Tuesday. Our cat has allergies and this seemed to happen after the kitten had a visitor that had heavy perfume odor. Soon after this visit is when this behavoir began. My cat was not tested for this certain allergy, however she has never liked any kind of perfume type scents since she has been an adult cat for 7 years.
Hello, and welcome!

My name is XXXXX XXXXX it will be my pleasure to assist you and your kitty today.

My apologies that no one had answered your question earlier. I recently logged in and justread it.

I'm sorry your older female kitty is having trouble and stopped eating. I have just a few questions which will provide more information and enable me to send you a complete answer. Please allow me a short while to get back to you after your reply. Thanks!

Did the vet do any blood work when you took her in on Tuesday?

What is her day like? Is she active, playing with toys, etc., or is she sleeping more than usual?

Is she drinking as usual on her own but just not eating?

Is she eliminating normally?

Thanks for all your additional detail.
Cher
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

The vet did not do any blood work, She usally is a very talkative loving cat. Wants to be held and loved all day. Very needed in that sense. But she is mostly now just laying around with all her paws pulled under her. She is not really talking anymore and when we do pick her up she doesn't love on us, she doesn't clean our ears, she doesn't jump on us and lay on our neck as usual. Very withdrawn. She is Peeing every so often but she was given an IV at the vet. Could it be the new kitten and will we have to let him go, could be she ingested the perfume which may be toxic to her?

Hi again, and thanks very much for your helpful reply.

I'm so sorry she's not acting herself. If she is usually a very vocal and loving cat and those behaviors have changed, plus, she's not eating, this could be related to getting the new kitten, because even though she can't see him (and you're doing just what you're supposed to do in a new introduction situation--keeping him isolated at first) she can smell his scent and this can be upsetting to her. She may feel depressed, anxious, and that 'her' territory and 'her' humans are being taken away. However, it could also be coincidental that she started not feeling well due to an underlying medical condition at the same time you acquired the new kitten.

Try some Feliway, a cat appeasing pheromone which calms stressed cats. You can find it at any pet supply store or order online; it comes in a spray and plug in diffuser which resembles an air freshener, but has no perfumy scent. Here is more info: Feliway

If she was give an IV at the vet, I assume this was fluids, because she was dehydrated? That would mean she's not drinking enough on her own. Ingestion of a toxic substance is always a possibility, but other medical conditions like diabetes, liver and kidney issues, just to name a few, are also possible. To check for any medical conditions, she would need a complete blood work-up from the vet. The results of this will provide more diagnostic tools. A urinalysis should be run, also, to check for anything unusual.

If she's laying around with her paws pulled under her (I call that the 'loaf' position, because it looks like a meatloaf shape), sometimes, this can be the indication of a symptom of discomfort or pain. I'm assuming the vet palpated her abdomen for any bladder or intestinal issues.

If she is not interested in eating anything, you're going to have to force feed her. This isn't as bad as it sounds. You take a dropper or children's/pet medicine syringe and fill it will either smooth watered down cat food or plain jarred baby food containing no onion product or any seasonings, place just the tip in the side of her mouth where there is an opening between the upper and lower teeth and squeeze in a little at a time. Wait for a swallow and continue. You can encourage the swallow reflex by gently rubbing her throat. If there are two of you, wrap her in a big towel so only her head is out and one can hold and one can feed. You can give her 2 droppersful (2cc's) every 20 minutes for an hour, then repeat in 2 hours. You can do the same with fluids, if she's not drinking on her own. Mix children's clear, unflavored Pedialyte 50/50 with water and dropper feed her this in the off hours in between the food feedings. Speak gently to her while you do this, to keep her calm.

You can also try Cat Sure which is like Ensure for humans. It provides essential nutrients for cats who are not eating properly. See if she'll lap it. Also try Cat Milk and Nutri-Cal, a nutritional supplement for calories and energy which comes in a tube. She can lick it off your finger.

So, your next step should be to ask the vet to run bloodwork and a urinalysis to check for underlying medical issues which might be causing her present state, and take it from there.

I hope all will be well with your furry girl!

I hope this helped, but if you need any additional information or clarification, simply 'Reply' back before rating and I will be happy to help with any follow up questions.

If you found my answer helpful, a Positive rating and Positive feedback on the survey, would be greatly appreciated. Thanks! Laughing

If you would like to request me to answer any new, future questions, please begin your post with "For Cher Only" and I will respond as soon as possible.

Warmest regards,
Cher