Dr. Scarlett
Dr. Scarlett, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  I am a practicing small animal veterinarian with 16 years experience.
13866827

Hi Vetlori, Minou, my 11 year old mixed Siamese takes Lufeneron

Customer Question

Hi Vetlori,
Minou, my 11 year old mixed Siamese takes Lufeneron against fleas monthly. He recently had a treatment for ear mites and a teeth cleaning. Otherwise he's healthy but he has little black crusts around one side of his lower lip. Can I send you a picture?
Category: Cat
Expert:  Dr. Scarlett replied 1 year ago.

Dr. Scarlett :

Dr. Scarlett :

Please attach a picture to this chat! You can attach the picture by clicking on the paper clip icon.

Customer:

Minou black crusts
Full Size Image

Dr. Scarlett :

That looks like some "chin acne." Does Minou have it on his chin, too, or just on the side there?

Dr. Scarlett :

When did you first notice the black crusts--before the dental or after? Have you changed anything, like the bowls he eats/drinks out of, food, etc?

Dr. Scarlett :

It could also be a fungal skin infection. Does he drool at all?

Customer:

He does have some on his chin. I noticed it before the dental and before the earmites treatment, but now it's worse. The only change is that I installed a salt water filtration pool, and I've seen him drink from it. He gets fresh water changed daily in a ceramic bowl, but you know how cats are...

Customer:

I have four other cats. Only one of them also has that, to a lesser degree.

Customer:

We live in the Caribbean on a hill where there are no predators, so they can go out, they have their own door.

Dr. Scarlett :

Ha! Yes, I know! So with chin acne, there are black heads and crusts. Sometimes the chin can get really puffy and infected, but most of the time it is just the crusts that you are seeing. Like I mentioned, there can be a fungal infection along with the bacterial skin infection. Sometimes antibiotics help, particularly if there is an infection.

Customer:

So off to the vet for a prescription?

Dr. Scarlett :

I would ask your vet if he/she could get you a bottle of DOUXO spot-on--it is a topical medication that can really help with chin acne.

Customer:

I would prefer not ot give him antibiotics, of course, as this may be a symptom of an underlying problem.

Customer:

It's not an antibiotic?

Dr. Scarlett :

Benzoyl peroxide pads (like you would use for acne) can also be helpful--they open up the pores. Making sure to keep his food bowls clean (so no bacteria gets in there. Sometimes changing the diet can help.

Customer:

What about plain peroxide?

Dr. Scarlett :

The DOUXO spot-on is not an oral antibiotic. Here is a website for the product: http://www.douxo.us/dermatology/douxo-dermatology-dogs-seborrhea-spot-on.html I got the recommendation from a vet dermatologist.

Dr. Scarlett :

3% hydrogen peroxide is ok for infections, but won't help with chin acne.

Customer:

ok, thanks!

Dr. Scarlett, Cat Veterinarian
Experience: I am a practicing small animal veterinarian with 16 years experience.

I'm just following up on our conversation about Minou. How is everything going?

Dr. Scarlett
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi Vetlori!

Hre is Minou right now, he looks relaxed... I haven't been out of the house since we first corresponded, I don't get out often, I just built my house on a hill in the Caribbean, and I work from home. Hopefully on Monday or Tuesday I will get the Douxo (the vet has it). What I did though, was to change the location of the cat bowls. They were too close to the cat door, so bugs were enereing. Now they're on the other side of the kitchen, and they're clean. Minou's chin acne cleared a little. I just washed it with soap and water. The Douxo should clear it up.

Minou likes to sleep on his back

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Dr. Scarlett,

Sorry if I've been calling you Vetlori! I thought I read that last week...

By the way, all I have is hydrogen peroxide. It worked well as a rub for me, should put some on his chin?

That Minou is a cutie--thanks for the picture!

You could use a little hydrogen peroxide on a cotton ball to dab on his chin. Just don't let him lick it as it can cause some stomach upset.

Glad things are improving; keeping the bowls clean sounds like it really helped!