Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  After over a decade as a veterinarian I know peace of mind about your furry friend is priceless.
72949175

I took my 13 year old cat to the vet to have dental work. A

I took my 13 year old cat to the vet to have dental work. A blood test was done beforehand which came back ok. After the anaesthetic my cat was slow waking up and when I visited him he was lying on his side with oxygen mask. He was kept at the vets overnight and in the morning I was told he had suffered a stroke and was blind. He couldn't hold his head up or stand. Since then (13 days after operation) he has recovered and can walk but is still blind and becomes very distressed and walks in circles. I there any hope of his sight returning as I hate to see him so stressed like this?
Hello, welcome. I'm a licensed veterinarian and will do my best to help you.

I'm so sorry this has happened to Gingha. I'm glad to hear of his recovery, thus far.

It is possible for the vision to return depending on what caused it. A stroke is something that isn't specific to what areas of the brain or eyes are affected. To know for sure, a visit to a veterinary neurologist and/or ophthalmologist will be needed to have specialized testing done. Without these tests, it's impossible to predict if the blindness is temporary.

I have seen cases where the vision comes back after weeks or longer, so I would not give up hope.

Some tips: don't move the furniture or litter box, keep the floors clear so he doesn't stumble on clutter, allow the circling to continue since he seems to get mad when you stop him.

The circling may be a compulsive behavior due to his stroke.

The specialists I mentioned above will be able to determine Gingha's exact diagnosis and be able to give you a prognosis for how he will do for the rest of his life.

I'm so sorry this happened - you were right to get his teeth cleaned, your vet did the blood work and it seems they took good care of him but sometimes these things happen. It may have happened even if he was at home that day.

If you are interested, your vet can make the referral needed to see the neurologist and/or ophthalmologist.

Please let me know if you have any other questions or concerns, even after you have rated my answer. I know sometimes reading the answer raises more questions.

All the best!
DrB
Hi Miriam,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Gingha. How is everything going?

petdoc99