Cher, Feline Specialist
Experience:  Feline Healthcare & Behavior Specialist 40+ years Experience

Lump on the side of my cats neck.

Hello. I'm hoping you can help me. I'm worried about my cat. He has a hard lump on the side of his neck, towards the jaw. It doesn't move but it doesn't seem to hurt him. I love my cat and I'm worried that it's something horrible. We are deep in debt and if it's something bad then we have no choice but to put him down. I'm just hoping that it's a lump that is just a cyst or something. It doesn't seem to bother him, nor does it move. It feels like it's part of the bone.

Hello, Kelli and welcome!

My name is XXXXX XXXXX it will be my pleasure to assist you and Sylvester today.

From your description, this could be anything from a cyst to a tumor to an abscess under the skin; there are various possibilities. The only way to know for sure what this is, is to have Sylvester evaluated in person by his vet and imaging might be needed, like an x-ray. The vet might also want to do a fine needle aspiration, to withdraw some cells from the area with a very thin needle, so they can be analyzed. First, you need to get a definite diagnosis and then find out the treatment options.

If you are in a financial bind, there are two animal hospitals that offer a free first exam/visit with a coupon you can redeem online:

Also, you can try contacting some of the organizations located at this site:

In addition, you might consider applying for Care Credit which is accepted by most vet offices:
Care Credit

I hope all will be well with Sylvester!

If you need any additional information or clarification, simply 'Reply' back before rating and I will be happy to continue our conversation.

If you found my answer helpful, a Positive rating and Positive feedback on the survey, would be greatly appreciated. Thanks! Laughing

If you would like to request me to answer any new, future questions, please begin your post with "For Cher Only" and I will respond as soon as possible.

Warmest regards,
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

For Cher Only

Thank you. I actually managed to make an appointment today with my vet. It's 39 for the initial visit and 90 for a biopsy+visit. I'm hoping it's nothing bad. It's hard when you're a 23 year old girl who grew up with 7 animals at a time throughout her whole life. I'll let you know what happens. :)

Hi again, Kelli and you're most welcome.

Thanks for your reply and I'm glad you were able to get a vet appointment for today, so you can find out more. Those fees aren't that bad. I know how difficult this is for you. I was once that 23 year old girl who grew up with many pets, too. Let's hope for the best.

Thanks for your offer to keep me updated. I'll be awaiting your report.

Best regards,
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I went to the vet yesterday and the doctor told me that to him it feels like a thyroid tumor. He took some bloodwork and told me to call the next day, which is today. So I did.

It turns out he has Hyperthyroidism. His T4 levels are supposed to be .9-3.9, I believe but Sylvester's level was 9.8. His BUM levels were elevated as well as his ALT levels (normal is 0-80, his was 384). He's going to put Sylvester on a medication that can lower all those levels as well as keep his Hyperthyroidism in check because we cannot afford the 400-600 dollars it'll cost to get it removed completely. It's 50 bucks every 3 months for the medication.

The funny thing is, you would never have known anything was wrong with Sylvester. I just thought he was a happy kitty cat. He's only 10 years old and you can feel his bones, which is normal for a cat with Hyperthyroidism. So hopefully when we get him on this medication, he will start to gain some weight back and be even more healthier than we had perceived.

He's going to be on a medication called Methinizole or something of the sort (they're even nice to give me flavor choices XD)

I do appreciate your answer though, I really do. I am very satisfied because you helped allay my worries. Thank you very much for your help.

Hi again, Kelli and thanks so much for your update on Sylvester.

You are most welcome and it is my pleasure to be of help to you and your sweet kitty!

Hyperthyroidism/thyroid tumor occurred to me, but it was necessary for the vet to do a hands on exam to be sure. I'm so glad it's something as 'easy' as hyperthyroidism. This is a very common condition in older cats. It's not difficult to manage with medication, at all. Yes, the medication is called Methimazole and it works very well. You will soon see a big difference in him gaining back some weight.

I'm glad I could help allay your fears when you were so worried, and I hope all will be well with Sylvester!

Please take a moment to rate my answer positively since you found it helpful and also please leave positive comments on the survey you receive. Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX appreciate it!

Warmest regards,