Joan
Joan, Vet Tech
Experience:  Vet Tech 35+ years working w/Cats
5071285

My semi-feral female cat broke her left .right rear leg 3

My semi-feral female cat broke her left .right rear leg 3 weeks ago and dislocated her hip at the same time. She had surgery for broken leg 2 weeks ago and we're waiting before next decision about hip. She's been on pain meds at vets twice a day. I'm bringing her home today. Can Arnica or something else be used to control her pain? What can help with rebuilding bone? She is on Desaquin now.

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I am a Vet tech for 30+ years. Unfortunately because cats are so sensitive to Herbs as well as medications, you have to be very cautious with giving anything and get approval from the Vet. I do not think Arnica would really do much since Rachael is on pain medication and Dasaquin. Arnica is great if you are dealing with some minor Arthitis pain or a bruise, but for a break, I do not feel it will be effective. In fact Arinica in is regular form can be very toxic. What I do suggest is the Omega 3 supplements for Rachael. They can help rebuild bone, heal and also work as an anti inflammatory for pain. They are all natural and safe to give Rachael on a regular basis. This is some information on the Omega 3 supplements: http://www.1800petmeds.com/education/fatty-acids-dog-cat-2.htm

Another suggestion is an orthopedic bed to help reduce any pressure on the leg and hip: http://www.petco.com/N_23_109_30_4294961700/Cat-Beds.aspx

The Dasaquin is what I have used for a break if the femur in my girl along with the Omega 3 supplements with great results. Please let me know if you need further help and would like to continue with me on this situation. I am here to help You and Rachael and give you Excellent Service. Joan

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I know it takes 5 weeks or more for leg to heal. When should pain start to decrease?

Usually after the first week and a half you will notice more activity and wanting to get around.by week two and half Rachael most likely will be raring to go. Animals seem to have a better recovery time than humans. My girl was up and going within a week of surgery and we had to go back in after 6 weeks for a second surgery, so keeping her quiet was the worst part. The big key will be to make sure she is eating and drinking. sometimes pain meds can decrease appetite and also cause constipation. You will want to keep an eye on her making sure she can eat and does use her litter box. Joan