Theresa
Theresa, A Voice for your Pet
Experience:  19+ years in animal medicine as a veterinary technician
1484153

Male (Heinz 57) 5 yrs. old, neutered: Our cat is an indoor/outdoor

Male (Heinz 57) 5 yrs. old, neutered: Our cat is an indoor/outdoor cat who behaves as if he were still a Tom cat. While he is home he is fed high quality cat food & showered w/love. He occasionally leaves home for no more than a week & then returns home.

On this last trip as a vagabond he was gone for over two months & we thought that he somehow met his demise. Surprisingly about 1 month ago he scratched & meowed at the door & ran to his feeder, ate like he was starving, slept for about a week, woke up only to eat & use the cat box, he looked severely malnourished. Our concern is that this cat still looks malnourished, not severe, but is active & more alert, shows no sign of being sick, is there anything else that we can do to restore him back to good health?
Category: Cat
Expert:  Theresa replied 1 year ago.

Theresa :

The simple answer? He most likely needs to be dewormed. It is very possible that he has picked up an intestinal parasite on his ventures. You can contact your vet for a dewormer or pick up a product from your local pet store. These are usually not as good though and I would stick with a product from the vet that covers all intestinal parasites like drontal plus.

Theresa :

Other concerns would be whether his is getting into fights with other cats and if he has picked up a nasty virus like feline leukemia, feline immunodeficiency virus, or FIP. In these instances I would have testing performed to be sure that these are not present should he not improve after a deworming.

Theresa :

If he is going to out running around then I would be sure that he is on a high quality diet to help sustain him.

Theresa :

Let me know if further assistance is needed.

Theresa :

Theresa

Customer:

Good job & thanks'

Theresa, A Voice for your Pet
Experience: 19+ years in animal medicine as a veterinary technician
Expert:  Theresa replied 1 year ago.
Hi Scott,

I'm just following up with you to see how everything is going. Have you noticed any improvements in George over the last week?

Let me know,
Theresa