Dr. Louis Gotthelf
Dr. Louis Gotthelf, Veterinarian
Experience:  35 years owning a dog and cat veterinary practice. President of an animal emergency clinic

I have a feral kitten - aprox. 1.2 pounds - tabby - red/white

I have a feral kitten - aprox. 1.2 pounds - tabby - red/white male -
Perhaps 6 weeks old - with DIARRHEA. I have administered .75 of a cc (ml) of the
NEMEX -2 (4.54 MG/ML), I have him on PET LAC - PET AG - kitten milk replacement, and I am feeding him 8 cc at least once an hour. I have him wrapped up in warmed cotton T-Shirts - and am changing them as needed. I have given him a warm soapy bath, and removed all of the fleas, and at this moment he appears to be resting peacefully. But he is obviously weak - do I need to give him IV - Sub Q - I was a Clinical Researcher in the College of Med - Vet Med at the Univ. of Fl., and I now have 3 rescue ranches - doing the sick and abused horses, dogs, birds, sheep, goats, etc.....(FB page "Faithful Horse and Animal Rescue" of Southwest Ranches), but I have little experience with Cats and even less with kittens..... but I can follow directions.

Dr. Louis Gotthelf :

Hi. I'm Dr. Gotthelf. I have been a vet for 35 years and I would like to use my experience to help you with your pet's medical problem.

Dr. Louis Gotthelf :

Kittens often get diarrhea from Coccidia and the Nemex will not get that. In addition, kitten milk replacer will cause diarrhea because it is too rich if fed undiluted. He may need some SubQ fluids, but if he is drinking, then that is the best and quickest way to rehydrate a kitten.

That is vital to know - I can give SubQ - warmed fluids - which ones do I use lacted ringers and how much.... he weighs 1.2 lbs.. If we are dealing with Coccidiaosis, should

I go with Albon - and with the SubQ fluids - what about 20 cc's ?

Dr. Louis Gotthelf :

If he is drinking then let him drink. 20cc of Saline should be OK twice a day if needed. You can use Albon, but most people use Ponazuril because it kills coccidia in 2 days..

I'm just following up on our conversation about Small Red Tabby. How is everything going?

Dr. Louis Gotthelf