Theresa
Theresa, A Voice for your Pet
Experience:  19+ years in animal medicine as a veterinary technician
1484153

My Ragdoll cat started getting scabs on her head, it started

My Ragdoll cat started getting scabs on her head, it started out small and we thought it was from a fight with one of our other cats (Even though they seem to all get along great) But lately we've been seeing a lot more scabs almost as if they're spreading, could it be because she's scratching at them or could it be something possibly worse?
Also, it's only in the few areas around her neck and bottom jaw, with a few very small ones near the scruff or on the top of her head.
The head and face are a common place for with allergies to be itchy. I suspect this is what you are dealing with and the continued scratching is creating the scabs. Cats can become allergic to many things at different times in their lives. Certain ingredients in their food, dust mites, mold, and pollens are very common. You can try starting her off with benedryl to see if you get a positive response. The dose for her is 1mg per pound. The tablet would be better than the liquid because you could possibly get it down her before she tastes it. You can also wipe her off a couple of times a day with a damp cloth to help remove any dust or pollens that may be on her. Be sure that she has no fleas and if you feel that fleas are possible then I would treat use a prescription topical flea prevention for this as well. For dust I would suggest that you vacuum at least 3 times a week and change your filters. Wash her beds and areas that she lays down the most. Dust 2 times a week and vacuum immediately after. Areas that she is scratching can become infected so I would keep a watch on those and if they start becoming more red, inflammed or developing discharge then a trip to the vet would be warranted as she may need antibiotics. The best way to decrease damage while she is so itchy is to trip the toenails on the back feet at least weekly so that they are not pointy.

If you have changed her food I would go back to the original diet. If not then a change in food could potentially help. Usually food allergies in cats present as vomiting and diarrhea but some do become itchy. I would try a grain free diet to start. If after 6 weeks you see no improvement then talk to your vet about a trial of a prescription hypoallergenic diet.

Please let me know if further assistance is needed.

Theresa
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

On top of the benedryl, is there a cream that is safe to use for healing/itchiness? Or would it be unwise since she would most likely lick it off?

I tend to avoid topicals in cats because they will constantly rub the area and lick their paws. It also tends to bring more attention to it. Is she gaining any relief from the suggestions mentioned? Let me know if we need to delve into things further.

Theresa
Hey there.

How is Chloe feeling?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I tried giving her the benedryl, but it didn't seem to do much. Some scabs are healing while others are getting worse. I was going to take her to go see the vet tomorrow.

Other than grooming and scratching a lot, she is acting completely normal. She's had no behavioral changes, and is still a very affectionate cat.