Dr. Gary, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian; BS (Physiology) Michigan State Univ
15010675

I have an adopted 4-year-old spayed female cat. She had a rather

I have an adopted 4-year-old spayed female cat. She had a rather nasty fall about a week ago, but mercifully didn't break anything. She did however hurt one of her front feet - I don't have a regular vet and took her to a local animal clinic. The problem is she hasn't pooped for five days now and I'm getting extremely worried. She's eating normally and peed yesterday after I put her in her litter tray. But I suspect the injury is making it difficult for her to squat and to poop. She's not the most cooperative of cats and doesn't particularly like being touched. How can I help her?
Hello, I'm Dr Gary. I've been practicing veterinary medicine since 2007. I look forward to helping with your questions/ concerns.

It sounds like she may actually have a pelvic fracture. When a cat takes a bad fall, this is often the result. They can still walk around on all 4 legs, but they may be a bit wobbly in the back end and they are painful when going to squat to have a bowel movement. They can end up with constipation due to this reluctance.

The best thing you can do for her is get her on some pain meds. Cats can't really tolerate anything over the counter. We use a med called Buprenex. You can get this from your vet. They may also decide to do some x-rays to show you what is going on in the hips so you have a better idea of the prognosis.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hello Dr Gary, thank you for your response. She doesn't seem wobbly at all in the back end - in fact she's jumping on and off beds and tables and is very alert. The only time she is visibly in pain is when she tried to put pressure on the front leg, which has a slight sprain. Could it still be a pelvic injury?

Thank you.

It may just be the front leg that hurts, but the reluctance to posture for a bowel movement is a bit strange. Either way, some pain meds for a few days would likely benefit her and should get her back to normal.