Dr. Gary, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian; BS (Physiology) Michigan State Univ

I have a rescue cat bit by a snake 3 years ago according to

I have a rescue cat bit by a snake 3 years ago according to the old owner. it has an open wound on the side of its neck that looks nasty but has no smell, no fever and doesn't seem to be affected by it. I would like to clear up the open wound. I have antibiotics and sauve. every time he cleans himself it pulls on the wound and because it is on the neck you cannot put anything around it to keep him from scratching it.
Hello, I'm Dr Gary. I've been practicing veterinary medicine since 2007. I look forward to helping with your questions/ concerns.

You should be able to get this healed up at home.

The first thing you need to do is clip the hair from around the wound. The hair holds bacteria and prevents healing. You can use electric clippers to clip up the area.

I would then clean it out with a diluted hand soap/ water mixture. You can rinse it with a saline (Sodium Chloride) solution.

As a topical antibiotic, I would go online and order some SSD (silver sulfadiazine). This will help it heal up more quickly. If you can't get SSD, then Neosporin would be ok to use. I would clean it and use SSD once daily until it heals up. It'll likely take a good 2-4 weeks to heal up completely.

I hope this helps, let me know if you have any other questions.

Hi Michelle,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Midnight. How is everything going?