Cher
Cher, Feline Specialist
Experience:  Feline Healthcare & Behavior Specialist 40+ years Experience

Hello, I am hoping that I havent screwed up. We have

I am hoping that I haven't screwed up. We have a 2.5 month old kitten (Figaro) that we adopted from the humane society. It is now due for its second round of vaccinations. He stays inside and has no exposure to other cats. However, last week on July 3rd, we were quite surprised when a tiny kitten came running into our house, as my little boy and my husband were coming in the door from the grocery store. The kitten had matter in its eyes and I scooped it up immediately to prevent exposing our kitten Figaro. I took the kitten to the veterinarian on the same day and she felt that the kitten had a URI and also expressed that the kittens jaw had been "ripped off" but had reattached. She stated that the matter in the eyes could also be from the injury. She stated that the kitten needed to be quarantined for 7-10 days. I kept the kitten isolated in the only place that I had, a cage that was intended for small rabbits and guinea pigs. The kittens eyes cleared up on the second day and she never demonstrated any sneezing. Today, after feeling tired of seeing the poor baby confined in the cage by herself and feeling fairly certain that the kitten was no longer contagious -- if it ever was. The two kittens are playing now happily and I have started second-guessing myself on my decision. I do intend to have both kittens vaccinated by this week, but have I potentially made any huge mistakes by allowing the kittens to interact?
Category: Cat
Expert:  Cher replied 1 year ago.

Hello again, Shannon and welcome back to Just Answer!

My name is XXXXX XXXXX it will be my pleasure to assist you today.

I understand your concern, under the circumstances, and kudos to you for taking in this furbaby after just adopting your Figaro!

If Figaro had already received his first round of vaccinations, he should be pretty well protected. However, if this new kitten did or does have a URI or other illness, Figaro might be exposed to it, if they are now playing together. A URI can be very contagious from cat to cat, in any case, but other, more serious illnesses are possible. Hopefully, this isn't the case, and once both kittens are seen by the vet in person and vaccinated, all should be well.

It's nice that Figaro will have a companion, even though you didn't plan on having two kittens! : )

I hope all will be well and please let me know how things are going with both kitties, if you're able. Thanks!

If you need any additional information or clarification, simply 'Reply' back before rating and I will be happy to help with any follow up questions. If my response has satisfied all your concerns, a positive rating and positive feedback on the survey would be greatly appreciated. Thanks! Laughing

If you would like to request me to answer any new, future questions, please begin your post with "For Cher" and I will respond as soon as possible.

Thank you for entrusting your important question to Just Answer!
Warmest regards,
Cher
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi Cher. Thank you so much. Are you a vet? I mean no offense at all, but I thought that I had selected the veterinary option. Since the kitten has been quarantined for 8 days, what is the likelihood that it is still in an incubation period for an infectious disease?

Expert:  Cher replied 1 year ago.
Hi again, Shannon and you are most welcome!

I am not a vet, but have many years experience working with and owning cats, working with vets, volunteering as a vet assistant and in shelters, rescues, plus answering online questions, so I have a lot of knowledge regarding cat healthcare and behavior. No offense taken! : )

The quarantine period of 8 days so far, without the kitten showing any further symptoms and having her eyes clear up is a good sign. If your vet said 7-10 days incubation, allowing them to be together on the 8th day should be fine. Since the kitten was either a stray or runaway, you have no idea what infectious diseases she could be harboring, but the vet will test her for FeLV (feline leukemia) and FIV (Feline AIDS) before vaccinating her. Hopefully she will be neg. for these serious diseases and have no infectious diseases. The likelihood that she is still in an incubation period is much slimmer than it was when you took her in. I don't blame you for letting her out. Being in that cage for over a week was not fair to her, but you had to do it to safeguard Figaro!

I hope all will be well when you bring them to the vet!

Best regards,
Cher
Cher, Feline Specialist
Experience: Feline Healthcare & Behavior Specialist 40+ years Experience
Expert:  Cher replied 1 year ago.
Hi again, Shannon and thanks very much for your positive feedback; it is truly appreciated!

Please keep me updated on your two furry kids, if you're able! Thanks!

Best regards,
Cher

PS: this needs to be sent as a 'request for information', but no additional information is needed at this time; it is simply a 'thank you'! : )
Expert:  Cher replied 1 year ago.
Hi Shannon,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Unnamed. How is everything going?

Cher