Dr. Whitehead
Dr. Whitehead, Veterinarian
Experience:  Doctor of Veterinary Medicine, internship trained, with 5 years of experience in high quality practice treating dogs, cats, and some exotics.
13146597

We have a kitten weighing 1.1 lbs who was given 0.04 mls of

We have a kitten weighing 1.1 lbs who was given 0.04 mls of Buprenex accidentally after her spay surgery today. I understand this is 4 times the recommended dose, other then sedation, what should we watch for? Is there any supportive care we can offer to prevent an adverse reaction?

Dr. Whitehead :

Hello there. My name isXXXXX and the good news is you will only see sedation with Molly. It is nearly impossible to cause a fatal over dose with buprenex in cats. The way the medication works does not necessarily allow that to happen. So just monitor. She will sleep a lot and should wear off in about 6 to 8 hours. No other supportive care is necessary

Customer:

Thanks.. her mother has also been spayed and will be taking this medication, do we need to prevent her nursing from her mother?

Dr. Whitehead :

How old is this kittne?

Dr. Whitehead :

kitten?

Customer:

About 9 weeks

Dr. Whitehead :

And she is still nursing?

Customer:

Only occasionally, she eats mostly solid food. I was concerned that she may nurse as a comfort from the stress of the surgery

Dr. Whitehead :

Ok good. Yes do not allow her to nurse. She she be weaned 100% by this time. Mom needs to be allowed to dry up.

Customer:

Ok... thanks!

Dr. Whitehead :

You are very welcome. Please do not forget to rate my response so i receive credit. Thank you