Scott Nimmo
Scott Nimmo, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS.

I just took an adderall pill from my cat. She found it loose

I just took an adderall pill from my cat. She found it loose in my bag. It was partially dissolved, and she was playing with it. I'm making her drink water and mixed 6 mg of activated charcoal with plain yogurt, and I'm following her around with water. She's about 6 lbs and just over a year old
Category: Cat
Expert:  Scott Nimmo replied 1 year ago.
Hello and welcome

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I am an experienced small animal veterinary surgeon, I will be very pleased to work with you today and I will try my best to answer to your question to your satisfaction. However to enable me to do so with accuracy I need a little more information, so before we start can you please answer the following ...

1. Can you estimate how much of the tablet she may have swallowed?

2. What strength was it? { mg }

3. How long ago did this happen?

Then give me fifteen minutes or so to think things through, prepare an answer, and type things up. I will then get straight back to you and we can talk things over.

Regards,

Scott
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi Scott,

Thank you. She would have digested no more than 5 mg. The pill itself was no more than 10 mg. It happened within the hour.

Hello again and thanks for the quick reply.

I have worked out an answer for you, please read it through and see what you think, ... lets get started.

You still have time to recover this drug by inducing vomiting, for the sake of speed I will give you a link to an accurate article on how to do this best : LINK

Then give me a further ten minutes and I will be back with some further information about this drug.

Regards,

Scott
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

The thing is that I don't know if she really even ate some of it. It was raining today, and my bag was wet, which would explain why it may be dissolved. She currently isn't dehydrated and isn't acting any differently. How likely is it that I need to induce vomiting?

Hello again,

Hello just picked up your second message, I agree it probably is unlikely she swallowed much and she may well get away with it if you do nothing. But if you want to be100% certain you should consider the following .... { The charcoal and yogurt was a good thing to do by the way }

Here is some further information :

Adderall is amphetamine based, you could have a problem here but if you can induce vomiting and then give the activated charcoal then things may be OK.

Expected symptoms would include restlessness, hyperactivity, agitation, tremors, whole body shaking, seizures. If symptoms set in then you should take her to an ER vet without delay. There is no antidote just symptomatic treatment would could include IV drips, activated charcoal orally, and drugs to treat any cardiac or nervous related symptoms which may arise.

I hope I have covered your question fully enough but if you would like further clarification or to talk things over a bit more then I will be on-line for the next hour or so and I will be more than pleased to continue working with you.

Regards,

Scott
Scott Nimmo, Cat Veterinarian
Experience: BVMS, MRCVS.
Hello again,

I see you have given me a poor rating, as far as I am aware I have given you the relevant information, but if I have missed out anything or you would like to discuss things further then please get back to me.

Regards,

Scott.