Dr. Gabby
Dr. Gabby, Veterinarian
Experience:  15 years in Companion Animal Practice and SPCA
2263760

My cat had front leg amputation last Wednesday for a cancerous

My cat had front leg amputation last Wednesday for a cancerous tumor. She is doing okay but HATES the cone and will not eat or drink with it on and just stays under the bed. She improves once we take the cone off. We are planning on trying gauze wrapped with layers of bitter bandages to cover the incision so that she can have the cone off and still not be able to get to the incision. Does the incision have to be exposed to air or can it be covered with gauze? Thank you.
Category: Cat
Expert:  Dr. Gabby replied 1 year ago.
Hello and thank you for asking your question. My name isXXXXX will try to help.
I have an idea. There is a collar that prevents them from chewing out the sutures but it is more comfortable. They remind me of little "inner tubes."
link1
link2
Yes, you can put gauze over the wound.
But, the wound is going to drain.
So, you will have to change the cause every 8-12 hours.
Otherwise the wound will get too moist and not heal.
It is better to leave it open to the air.
Plus, there is a good chance Tota will remove the gauze and then the stitches.
You can have the cone off when she is under close super vision.
They can do some serious damage to their surgical site in seconds.
I hope this helps.
If you have additional quesitons, please click "Reply."
Thanks
Dr. Gabby, Veterinarian
Experience: 15 years in Companion Animal Practice and SPCA
Expert:  Dr. Gabby replied 1 year ago.
Hi Raj,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Tota. How is everything going?

Dr. Gabby
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

She is doing well. The gauze and bandage kept slipping so we replaced it with just an Ace bandage. She seems much happier without the cone and is eating, drinking, pooping and trying to walk.

We change the Ace bandage every day. Thankfully, she has not had any drainage or bleeding at the incision. It still looks very clean.

Fortunately she does not seem very interested in removing the bandage. She has not really tampered with it at all.

Thank you for your follow up question. Your help is much appreciated.

Raj

Expert:  Dr. Gabby replied 1 year ago.
Hi Raj,
I am so glad. I am sure she is much happier without that cone. Good job : )