Candy R.
Candy R., Veterinary Technician
Experience:  Practicing Veterinary Technician for 26 years.Former Veterinary Practice Owner, Technician Trainer
23185754

My cat wont eat or drink, and she keeps throwing up, first

My cat won't eat or drink, and she keeps throwing up, first it was foam, now it's brown liquid
Hello, I am sorry to hear Millie is having some trouble My name is XXXXX XXXXX I have been a veterinary nurse for 26 years.Thank you for allowing me to assist you today.

How long has this been going on?

When did she last pass stool and was it normal?

Does she play with things such as string, small toys, or any chance she got a hold of thread or yarn?

Does she go outside?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

She started throwing up 2 days ago, on Friday I think, first it was her food, then a hairball, then it just went to this foamy stuff, to a liquid, now a brown liquid. She hasn't passed stool in the last couple days because she hasn't eaten anything, but from her last one, I think it looked fine. She has toys, I don't buy any toys with strings or yawn or anything like that on them. And she is an indoor cat only. I have another cat too, but she is perfectly fine, and she is an indoor cat too.

Thank you for the additional information.

When we see a young cat that is vomiting, not eating and not passing stool our first concern is a intestinal blockage from something they ate that is either to big to pass through the digestive tract or some type of string that has become wrapped around the intestines. In some cases the brown vomit can actually be fecal matter that is coming up since it can not pass . Click here for more on this

Other possible causes could be
* Parasites
* bacterial infection in the digestive tract
* Pancreatitis
* Ingesting something toxic including plants and human medications.

Cats unlike dogs will not stop eating unless they are sick,in pain or severely stressed. When a cat stops eating the body burns fat for energy only a cats liver can not process this fat resulting in a condition called hepatic lipidosis which can lead to liver failure so it is very important that we figure out what is causing her to not eat.

The best thing would be to have her seen at the vet today even if this means going to the ER. If this is not possible you can try 1/4 of a 10mg Pepcid AC and then wait 30 minutes then offer bland food such as boiled chicken or chicken baby food ( no onions or garlic in the ingredients) If she does not eat or has any additional vomiting then she needs to be seen as soon as you can.

I hope this helps give you some direction and she feels better soon. Please reply back if you have additional questions or concerns and I will be happy to continue.
Candy
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I just went out and bought some 10mg Pepcid AC, I gave her 1/4 of one. I guess we will see soon how it goes. Thank you for your time :) I really appreciate it.

You are very welcome. I hope this helps and she starts eating for you. I will be on most of the day if you need additional help.

Candy
Hi Matthew,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Millie. How is everything going?

CandyR
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

She is doing a bit better now, she started drinking on her own. After I gave her one of those pills she stopped throwing up too. She is still pretty weak though. She still hasn't eaten anything yet, she wants to though, I gave her a couple treats to see if she would eat them, she started to chew on them a bit, then just left them. She is walking around more, and meowing again which is good. I think she will get over it fine.

Thanks for asking :)

I am happy to hear she is doing better and that she stopped vomiting. GIve her a good pet from me and tell her to please try to eat something.