petdrz, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 30 years of experience in caring for dogs and cats.

Good evening. I just discovered my cat has worms today. (small

Good evening. I just discovered my cat has worms today. (small piece on his bum that looked like rice). I went immediately to the pet store and got drops to put in his food. I have been reading on there that these drops don't help. Your suggestions?
Hello and thanks for trusting me to help you and Fabio today. I am a veterinarian with over 25 years experience and would be happy work with you.

If these worms are passing out with the stool and sticking to his rear end, the most probable cause would be a tapeworm infection. The adult tapeworm stays in the intestine, but passes segments with eggs sacs in them (these segments can move). Cats have two ways primarily to become infected with tapeworms, one is by ingesting fleas, and the other by ingesting mice. Here is a link with a great deal more information about the tapeworm life cycle. tapeworms

There is no effective home remedy to rid them of the adult worm, but there is an over the counter medicine that can be used and is found at pet stores. Make sure the product contains the ingredient called praziquantel as stated in the link provided above. Not all medications for treating intestinal parasites will treat tapeworms, so you have to make sure you have the right one.

I hope this is helpful. My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions. Kindly rate me when you are done. Thank you for allowing me to assist you.

Dr Z

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

what would that product show up as on the box? I can't see that specific ingredient but it does say for hook, round and tape work.

The name of the ingredient is usually called praziquantal.

Can you tell me the name of the product that you bought and I will see if I can look it up?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Its call "homeopet" HP

WRM Clearn

Does that help

Yes, I see the product that you are referring to now. I do not know much about this product or it's ingredients other than to say that I have no way of knowing if it is going to be effective or harmful.

If I were you, I would stick with a product with know efficacy and safety. Here is a link to one sold at Petco as well. I would look for this product. It is safe and will get the job done.

Link here

Or get something from your vet that they suggest. Either will make me feel more confident that you will be rid of this problem safely and once and for all.

Please reply if further questions.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you so much for your help!

You are welcome. I am glad to help get rid of these tapeworms as they are nasty worms.

Thank you kindly for the positive rating and the bonus. It is truly appreciated.