Rebecca, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian for 29 years
11877925

licked pyrethian from fur,ataxic

Customer Question

licked pyrethian from fur,ataxic
Category: Cat
Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.

RebeccaVet :

Hello1

RebeccaVet :

I am sorry to hear about your cat.

RebeccaVet :

My name isXXXXX am a veterinarian, and will do my best to help.

RebeccaVet :

Pyrethrins are pretty toxic to cats. They do not even have to lick it; just putting it on them is enought.

RebeccaVet :

So, the first thing is to bathe your cat and remove any remaining pyrethrin, if you have not already done this.

RebeccaVet :

Dawn dish detergent is best for this, followed by a good rinse and drying.

RebeccaVet :

Ataxia is what is seen with pyrethrin poisoning.

RebeccaVet :

There is no antidote, only removing as much pyrethrin from the body, and time.

RebeccaVet :

If there are serious tremors, your veterinarian could give or prescribe methocarbamol for that.

RebeccaVet :

I see you did wash her. If it was not in Dawn, I would repeat it.

RebeccaVet :

Otherwise, time is the treatment.

RebeccaVet :

Will your cat eat and drink?

RebeccaVet :

I am not seeing responses from you. This chat does not work for everyone, or for all devices. I will try to connect another way if I do not hear from you soon.

Rebecca, Cat Veterinarian
Experience: Veterinarian for 29 years
Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.
Our chat has ended, but you can still continue to ask me questions here until you are satisfied with your answer. Come back to this page to view our conversation and any other new information.

What happens now?

If you haven’t already done so, please rate your answer above. Or, you can reply to me using the box below.
Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.
I hope you can see what I am saying now. Please let me know what else I can answer.

Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for the good rating!

Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.
And thanks for the bonus! So much appreciated!

I sure hope your cat is doing better tomorrow. I will check back to see.

Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.
Hello again,
How is your cat today?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

doing much better balance returning,eyes clearer,eating 2+ cans cat food /day.meowing increased.needy,he was "ferral" untill walked in our.home and stayed.gait steady,jumping up better has more.control over leg

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

doing much better balance returning,eyes clearer,eating 2+ cans cat food /day.meowing increased.needy,he was "ferral" untill walked in our.home and stayed.gait steady,jumping up better has more.control over leg/hind quarted

thank you moe's mom

l

Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.
Hello again,
Thank you for the update. I am glad to hear he is doing better.