Terri, Feline Healthcare Expert
Experience:  Expert in feline health and behavior. 20 years experience with cats.

My cat was sick last week, very lethargic and not eating. I

My cat was sick last week, very lethargic and not eating. I took him to the vet and they ran all sorts of tests, urine, and blood. All came back negative. Vet gave him an IV and a vitamin shot. I kept him away from our other cat to make sure he was going to the bathroom. He was. The next day he was better but the following day he developed a small mass on his back between his shoulders and hips. It is not warm.

He is eating and acting fine. He also likes to go outside where we live. Some feral cats in the area and woods. He has has contact/conflicts before. He also had some small scabs in his fur.

Hi Judy,

I am sorry Sasha was not feeling well.

It is possible he was bitten or scratched in the area of the "lump" and he has an abscess. What happens is the wound closes over trapping bacteria under the skin.

read more here:

Apply almost hot, damp compresses to the affected area. That may get the abscess to burst and drain.

If, Sasha develops a fever,stops eating or the area swells, looks infected or turns hot or angry red, he should be seen for an antibiotic.

If you still have questions just press reply and I will be here for you.

Please let me know how he is doing.

I hope he feels better very soon.

Best wishes for him,

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

We haven't found any puncture wounds there. Is it possible for it to shrink on its own?

Hi Judy,

Thanks so much for your reply.

It can be impossible to see the initial puncture wound with the naked eye because it could just be a claw mark.

As long as Sasha is eating well and is not lethargic you can just apply the warm compresses. Do 5 minutes on and fifteen off for two hours. Then do cold compresses same duration. Repeat every 4 hours.

Continue with the one that gives him the most relief.

It may shrink on its own then.

Please let me know what happens.

Warmest best wishes,

Hi Judy,

How is Sasha doing?
I hope he feelsmuch better.

Warm regards,