Cher, Feline Specialist
Experience:  Feline Healthcare & Behavior Specialist 40+ years Experience

I cannot find a pet gate wide enough so I thought I might make

I cannot find a pet gate wide enough so I thought I might make a homemade one with lattice. My husband thinks my 4 month old kitten could easily climb it...I am not so
sure a cat can climb lattice. Any advice?

Hi again Tara, and welcome back to Just Answer!

My name is XXXXX XXXXX it will be my pleasure to answer your question today.

I just realized that we had discussed your mom-cat possibly being pregnant again. Did you ever find out for sure, by having her seen by the vet? Just curious how that situation is going.

Your 4 month old kitten or any cat could probably climb it, if the gate had a lattice design. This is because the openings in the lattice are good 'footholds' for the kitten's little paws; however, my main concern is, could your young kitten get his/her head caught in one of the openings accidentally and/or get one of it's paws caught if it tried to climb the gate.

How wide do you need this gate to be and where have you shopped for them. They make adjustable ones that expand and contract to the size you need. Some pet owners use two gates together, if they can't find one wide enough. If you can tell me the dimensions you need, I would be happy to research this for you.

If you need any additional information or clarification, simply 'Reply' back before rating and I will be happy to help with any follow up questions.

If my response has satisfied all your concerns, a positive rating and positive feedback on the survey would be greatly appreciated. Thanks! Laughing

If you would like to request me to answer any new, future questions, please begin your post with "For Cher" and I will respond as soon as possible.

Thank you for entrusting your important question to me and Just Answer!

Warmest regards XXXXX XXXXX and kitty,
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I solved my problem temporarily by putting a new door that I had purchased sideways until I can find a tall and wide professional gate. Thanks

Hi again, and thanks for your reply and positive rating, which is truly appreciated.

I'm glad you were able to temporarily solve your problem with the new door and hopefully, you will find the right gate made for this purpose, soon!

Best regards,