Dr. Gary, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian; BS (Physiology) Michigan State Univ

my cat is about 12 tonite she did not eat, has thrown up

my cat is about 12 tonite she did not eat, has thrown up clear fluid, is drinking water, and feels cold to the touch she had an antibiotic shot several days ago and a steroid shot for a chronic stomatitis? that causes her to have inflamed gums and really bad breath. She usually drinks copious amounts of water and urinates tons a day. She does not appear to have peed in the last 8 hours. I'm trying to decide if this can wait till morning for a vet visit.
Hello, I'm Dr Gary. I've been practicing veterinary medicine since 2007. I look forward to helping with your questions/ concerns.

It sounds like she is having a bit of GI upset/ gastroenteritis. This could be secondary to the steroid injection that she received. Sometimes they will have a bad response to steroids as they suppress the immune system and make secondary infections more likely.

If you want to give her something to settle her stomach, you can give some Pepcid AC (Famotidine). This is available over the counter. You can give 1/2 of a 10 mg tablet 1-2 times daily as needed.

I hope this helps, let me know if you have any other questions.

I'm just following up on our conversation about Psycho. How is everything going?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Psycho died about twelve hours later. I had her to the vet when they opened at 8 am and she died around 1:30. She was dehydrated and they gave her an IV. When her blood work came back her potassium levels were triple and her glucose was over 700.

Psycho, as her name implies, was a very difficult cat to handle and treatment has been difficult for the ten years I had her. Almost impossible to get a steroid pill in her (which she was on for the stomatitis which kept her with almost permanent inflamed gums) and antibiotic shots every 2-3 weeks. When she stopped eating the blood sugar just skyrocketed and the vomiting and dehydration just had her system fail. My vet says her heart failed. I was with her when she died, but don't think she was aware as she did purr all night as I stayed up with her and every time I touched her she purred. I just hope she knew I was there. I can not believe how quickly the situation came on and how she went downhill. I have had several diabetic cats over the years and never saw one decline so quickly.

Oh, I'm so sorry to hear that. It sounds like you did everything you could for her.