Rebecca, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian for 29 years
11877925

cat came home limping 10 days ago, vet visit next morning.

Customer Question

cat came home limping 10 days ago, vet visit next morning. tooth puncture wound on leg over joint. 10 day antibiotic given via injection. took cat back to vet 5 days later as cat still has limp although has improved slightly. vet said there is still swelling and may be taking awhile longer to heal as it is over a joint. anti-imflemitary given for pain. limp is much better now, great improvement but I have just noticed there is a very hard lump over the area. squeezed it to see if it was full of puss but nothing at all came out. I am wondering if the lump is on the bone. please help...
Category: Cat
Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.
I am sorry to hear about Kitty.

My name is Rebecca. I am a veterinarian, and will do my best to help.

Is the lump painful to her when touched? If so, it is probably some residual infection.

Is the lump movable? If it is on the bone, it would be firmly fixed in place and you could not move it without moving the bone itself.

This could be some scar tissue that may take awhile to resolve. If it gets gradually smaller, I would just monitor it, as long as it is not painful. If it grows, or hurts her,then there is probably still some infection walled off inside the lump, and she may need to have more antibiotics or possibly to have the lump removed or lanced.

Please let me know if I can answer anything else.

Rebecca, Cat Veterinarian
Experience: Veterinarian for 29 years
Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.
Hi Tegan,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Kitty. How is everything going?

RebeccaVet
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Kitty is good, the lump is still there. I spoke to a friend who use to teach veterinary science at uni and she said its probably scar tissue also. Im going to leave it a few more days as she is no longer limping at all. I will call the vet if it gets bigger or painful for her or even doesnt go away after awhile. Thanks for all your help.

Tegan

Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.
Tegan,
Thank you for the update, and the great rating! Much appreciated! Glad to hear she is not limping now.