Dr. Andy, Medical Director
Experience:  UC Davis graduate, Interests: Dermatology, Internal Medicine, Pain Management

Is covenia safe for cats?

Is covenia safe for cats?
Welcome! My name isXXXXX am a 2003 graduate from UC Davis, and currently a Medical Director of a veterinary hospital.

I am sorry to hear about this concern for Smudge.

Generally, Yes, Convenia is quite safe in cats. Very popular because it takes away the need, the fight, to give a cat oral medication twice a day for 10 days.

I have had some patients develop loss of appetite, vomiting or diarrhea. Although, I can't say that wouldn't have happened if they were given any other antibiotic as well.

But, Yes, it is generally safe with few complications. Great for skin conditions and abscesses. Not the best for urinary tract infections, but often used for that as well.

Hope that information has been helpful.
Please remember to select Reply to Expert, if for any reason you need further clarification, have more questions, or were expecting a different type of answer. Prior to leaving a feedback rating, which I greatly appreciate, my goal is to provide you the best answer possible.