Dr Gwen
Dr Gwen, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Ten years experience with routine care, emergencies, and behavioral issues in felids.
21470562

Hello, Thank you for assisting me with my concern about

Customer Question

Thank you for assisting me with my concern about rabies vaccine.

My female cat is 18 years old, has hyperthyroidism and receives 2,5mg (Felimazole)twice a day. Lately it lost appetite, now finicky most of the time; it has also lost a bit weight. Obviously it’s an oldie. Last week the vet checked out its health, and said its condition is fair. It suffers a bit from arthritis; the vet has given me some tablets Onsior (robenacoxib). Its heart is fine.
I'd like to travel with my beloved cat by car or by plane outside the country. For that to happen, it needs rabies shot.
What do you think? Can it get the rabies shot (for one year rabies shot?)
Thank you.
Regards
Monika
Category: Cat
Expert:  Dr Gwen replied 1 year ago.

Dr Gwen :

Hello, and welcome to Just Answer. Although Shalom is an older cat, the rabies vaccine has been shown to be a safe vaccine when administered by a veterinarian properly. It comes in 1 and 3 year vaccines, and is a killed product, which means your pet will not develop the disease from getting the vaccine. Since you are wanting to travel with your cat, you will need to talk to your veterinarian about the legal requirements for transporting a pet across countries. Most all of them will require a health certificate and a current rabies vaccine status, which means you will have to vaccinate Shalom if she is overdue.

Dr Gwen :

Regarding whether it is safe to vaccinate Shalom, that is best answered by your veterinarian after a physical examination has been performed. In general, animals that are ill or have a challenged immune system should not be vaccinated. Animals that are in good health should be good candidates for a rabies vaccine. I hope that helps, good luck!

Dr Gwen, Cat Veterinarian
Experience: Ten years experience with routine care, emergencies, and behavioral issues in felids.
Expert:  Dr Gwen replied 1 year ago.
Our chat has ended, but you can still continue to ask me questions here until you are satisfied with your answer. Come back to this page to view our conversation and any other new information.

What happens now?

If you haven’t already done so, please rate your answer above. Or, you can reply to me using the box below.
Expert:  Dr Gwen replied 1 year ago.
Hi Gwen,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Shalom. How is everything going?

Dr Gwen
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi Dr. Gwen,

Thank you for asking about Shalom.

Tomorrow I have another appointment with the vet in town for an ultimate answer whether or not it is now safe to vaccine Shalom for rabies.

The clock is ticking for all living creatures, and no matter how much we love them, we humans have set the clock for ticking infinitely.

I wanted to take her back to the United States where I picked her up in the streets when she was one month old. She had, there, 2 companions Castor and Melody; these 2 are buried in my former backyard. Shalom, since they are gone, is a loner. I am her only friend, and she is my only friend here. She is keeping me company day and night. I will never abandon her; I would even postpone my traveling if needed.

So, I will get an answer from the vet tomorrow afternoon. I will tell you what he recommended.

Kindest regards

Gwen

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

My cat Shalom has been seen by the vet down town. It got the rabies shots. It's doing fine, and its appetite has increased since 2 days.

Regards,

Gwen

Expert:  Dr Gwen replied 1 year ago.
That is all wonderful news. I hope you and Shalom continue to do well, and happy travels.