Dr Scott Nimmo, Small Animal Veterinarian.
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
10315041

Vet only, please: How harmful would it be if our cat misses

Vet only, please:

How harmful would it be if our cat misses his daily steroid two days in a row? He's primarily taking it for IBD (with possible low level, chronic pancreatitis). I know there's always concern about changing the dose suddenly (rather than gradually), but hopefully skipping two days isn't a major issue.
Hello, and welcome.

Sorry you have had a bit of a wait ...

My name isXXXXX am an experienced small animal veterinary surgeon and I will be very pleased to work with you today and will try my best to answer your question to your satisfaction.

A very short answer here but it does 100% cover things : I would very much doubt if this would affect your cat in the slightest as there would still have been some residual levels of the drug in your cats system 24 hours after you stopped the dose. If you started the drug again after a 48 hour break then he should be fine.

I have know this sort of thing happen now and again over the years and never known it to be a problem.

I hope I have covered your question fully enough but if you would like further clarification or to talk things over a bit more then I will be on-line for the next hour or so and I will be more than pleased to continue working with you.

Regards,

Scott
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Well - the two days 'without steroids' had already happened as of last night - when we skipped that dose (there wasn't much we could do about it at that point). Glad to hear that it shouldn't cause a problem. I appreciate confirmation of this, even if it's after the fact!

Hello again,

I am just getting back in touch to see how your cat is getting on.

How are things going at present?

Regards,

Scott