Joan
Joan, Vet Tech
Experience:  Vet Tech 35+ years working w/Cats
5071285

I have a 9 mos old calico kitty. She just got back from the

I have a 9 mos old calico kitty. She just got back from the Vet on Monday and had a procedure done in which her ears were loaded with debris and she had a ruptured right eardrum. She's on Tresaderm and Clavamox (.6ml) twice a day. I checked her ears and they are still full of debris again, and she's off balance. Could she have otitis? and is this curable?

My name is XXXXX XXXXX a Vet tech for 30+ years. Without seeing you kitty I cannot say it is otitis media : http://www.petplace.com/cats/otitis-interna-and-media-in-cats/page1.aspx , but she is showing signs of Vestibular issues which is most likely due to the ruptured ear drum and the infection which has cause inflammation in the ear. The Vestibuar apparatus controls the balance center and is located in the middle ear: You can read more about Vestibular issues here: http://www.vet.cornell.edu/fhc/healthinfo/vestibularsyndrome.cfm The vestibular symptoms off loss of balance is secondary to the ear infection the Vet is treating with the Clavamox. I would let the Vet know that her ears have refilled with debris and that she is showing signs of Vestibular problems. He may want to see her again and review her medications. Ear infections and ruptured ear drums take time to heal. If she gets worse I would contact the Vet this weekend since it has been 6 days. If it stays the same contact the Vet on Monday for a follow up on this problem. Please let me know if you have further questions. My goal is to give you 100% Excellent service.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I have an appointment tomorrow morning at 8:30am. So I will pass on the information. I appreciate your information. Is this curable? My biggest fear, of course, is that we'll have to put her down.....:(

It does take time to heal, but the key will be to get rid of the infection and reduce the inflammation. I think with time and care she should be ok. She may have a slight head tilt, but time and care should resolve the issue. Having her back into the Vet tomorrow is the best for her. Joan

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thanx Joan. I appreciate your response. She's just so little. But she doesn't look like she's in pain. I know she wants to run around, but I'm sure her ear issues are holding her back.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

If I remember the Vet was a little perplexed by the fact that she said she didn't find any bacteria or yeast in the debris.

She feels just like humans when they have an ear infection and get dizzy. She may get a little nauseaus, so do not be surprised, but the Vet can give medication for that if needed. Please let me know how she is doing. I will check back in on her. Joan

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thanx Joan.

Just checking in to see how the kitty is doing and feeling. Joan
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Well Joan my kitty didn't make it. She had a lot more going on than expected - FIP. I cried for two straight hours in my decision to send her to kitty heaven. But I know now she's in a better place.Very hard to do.........

I am so sorry! Please accept my sincerest condolences! Joan

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Thanx Joan. I know everything happens for a reason.

She was very lucky to have you and have love for her short time here on earth. Please visit www.Rainbowbridge.com and read the poem. It is very comforting to me. Bless you for loving her. Joan