Dr Gwen
Dr Gwen, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Ten years experience with routine care, emergencies, and behavioral issues in felids.

A FRIEND OF MINE WENT TO JAIL, AND I DISCOVERED HIS BENGAL

A FRIEND OF MINE WENT TO JAIL, AND I DISCOVERED HIS BENGAL CAT AHD BEEN LEFT ALONE IN HIS APT FOR 2 WKS. I TOOK HIM HOME, AND HE IMMEDIATELY BECAME ATTACHED TO ME. I HAD HEARD THAT BREED CAME BE A HANDFUL, BUT HE IS A SWEET AND GENTLE SOUL. HE LIKES TO TOUCH MY FACE WITH NO CLAWS OUT, JUST A GENTLE STROKE. HE FOLLOWS ME CONSTANTLY, AND MY ROOMMATE SAYS HE MAKES A FUNNY WHIMPERING SOUND ALL DAY UNTIL I GET HOME FROM WORK. WHEN MY FRIEND GETS OUT OF JAIL, HE WANTS THE CAT BACK, BUT I WOULD LIKE TO KEEP HIM. I THINK HE HAS BEEN THROUGH ENOUGH. ON THE OTHER HAND , HE DID CARE FOR HIS OWNER. I WANT TO DO WHAT'S BEST FOR THE CAT
Category: Cat
Expert:  Dr Gwen replied 1 year ago.

Dr Gwen :

Hi, welcome to Just Answer, I will try to help answer your questions. Have you talked to your friend in jail? Does he know you are caring for the cat?

Dr Gwen :

It looks like you are offline at the moment. I'm going to leave some information here and switch to the Q&A format to make it easier to reply to you later as well.
Legally, the cat belongs to your friend, and as much as this cat obviously loves you and you love him, ultimately your friend has legal ownership and will be allowed to take him back. I think you may want to let your friend know how you feel, how much you have become attached to Mem, and let him know you would like to keep the cat. You may even offer to buy him a new Bengal to replace this one. If your friend is insistent on taking his cat back, keep in mind that he probably loves him as much as you do and will be heartbroken without him. You might consider finding out where your friend got Mem, and contacting the breeder to get your own Bengal from the same line. I know it's not the same as keeping Mem, but might be your only option.
Good luck, I hope it all works out for you and your friend, and especially Mem.

Dr Gwen, Cat Veterinarian
Experience: Ten years experience with routine care, emergencies, and behavioral issues in felids.
Expert:  Dr Gwen replied 1 year ago.
Our chat has ended, but you can still continue to ask me questions here until you are satisfied with your answer. Come back to this page to view our conversation and any other new information.

What happens now?

If you haven’t already done so, please rate your answer above. Or, you can reply to me using the box below.
Expert:  Dr Gwen replied 1 year ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about Mem. How is everything going?

Dr Gwen