Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience

Can I give my cat tylenol to relieve pain in his leg until

Can I give my cat tylenol to relieve pain in his leg until I can get him to the vet?
Hello. Thanks for writing in. Actually, Tylenol is one of the most toxic medications you can give a cat. They do not have the enzyme to break down the medication. One dose of Tylenol will kill a cat. Cats are extremely sensitive to all over the counter, human pain medications. Tylenol will destroy their liver, but non-steroidal anti-inflammatories, like aspirin and ibuprofen, have a high propensity of causing kidney failure. With a 15 year old cat, there is usually some decline in kidney function already. The only pain medications that are safe for cats are opioid based medications. These medications are in the same class as morphine. The safest way to deal with pain control at home with a cat is a warm compress on the area a few times a day. If his leg pain is still too much for him, it would be best to have him seen by your nearest emergency vet. They can prescribe medications like tramadol and buprenorphine that are safer to use for pain control. I wish there was something safe you can give at home, but those medications can cause a lot more problems than they would help. Please let me know if you have any other questions or concerns. Hope this helps.
Hi Lena,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Gustoff. How is everything going?

Texas Veterinarian